AW: Is minimal required platform Windows 7 only for the 5.3 or later for gnuplot for windows?

AW: Is minimal required platform Windows 7 only for the 5.3 or later for gnuplot for windows?

Bastian Märkisch
Dear Allin,

Concerning MingGW, we haven't actively dropped support. So that's why there
is no "ChangeLog" entry. I no longer have it installed, though, and thus
cannot check with it anymore.  (The same is true for Cygwin btw.). MinGW's
headers and libraries are getting seriously out of date and are missing many
of the "new" APIs. Mind that it is missing on support for Windows 7 which is
available since almost eight years. Anyway I am certainly happy to integrate
patches which ensure that gnuplot still compiles with MinGW. I typically
test compilation with MSVC2015, MinGW-w64 and OpenWatcom.  Please understand
that these are already 10 combinations to test (3 compilers, 32/64 bit (not
OW), ANSI/Unicode).

Are you suggesting we rename mingw/Makefile and config.mgw to msys2/Makefile
config.msys2?  We could certainly do that. The transition from MSYS/MingW to
Msys2/Mingw-w64 just felt natural to do in place. Also we made an effort to
keep support for MinGW there for quite a while. Also note that we put
together some build instructions in feature request #199. It might be a good
idea to refer to that from the homepage and the Makefile itself.

In the meantime I have tested released binary versions.  They run fine on
Windows XP up to version 5.0.3. Later versions were compiled with Mingw-w64
as far as I remember and no longer run on XP. The 5.0.6 source still
compiles fine with MinGW32 and then also runs on XP, though. As you already
pointed out, version 5.2 currently does not compile with Mingw32 due to the
lack of library support.

   Bastian

old