Altering axes in polar plots

Kevin Oberman
I am attempting to generate a polar wind direction plot where 0 degrees is
up (north), 90 is right (east), etc. This means that the angle moves
clockwise as it increases instead of counter-clockwise.

Is there an easy way to do this in gnuplot or will I need to transpose
values to do it?

Additionally, I am labeling the axes 'N', '', 'E', and 'W'. By default, the
'E' and 'W' are rotated, but I would like them vertical. I tried "rotate
by", but that does not do the trick. Can this be done?

Thanks!
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Altering axes in polar plots

Ethan A Merritt-2
This is now possible in the development version (5.1) using a new command:
    set theta top clockwise

See for example
   http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_5.1/ttics.html

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am attempting to generate a polar wind direction plot where 0 degrees is
> up (north), 90 is right (east), etc. This means that the angle moves
> clockwise as it increases instead of counter-clockwise.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this in gnuplot or will I need to transpose
> values to do it?
>
> Additionally, I am labeling the axes 'N', '', 'E', and 'W'. By default, the
> 'E' and 'W' are rotated, but I would like them vertical. I tried "rotate
> by", but that does not do the trick. Can this be done?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683

Re: Altering axes in polar plots

Kevin Oberman
Thanks, Ethan. This looks lie just what I wanted.

I wrote code to move the points around as needed, but it's ugly and
confusing and I'd love to delete it. I'll give a shot as soon as the
FreeBSD port is updated. If I didn't have a work-around in place, I'd do
the port myself and may still do so if 5.1 does not show up soon.

Again, thanks for the information!

E-mail: [hidden email]