Click curve to highlight?

bamalabs
Is there any way to 'highlight' a curve by clicking on it?

For example, if I have data plotted as a line, if I could just
mouse-click anywhere on that line and have it change to linespoints
until I click somewhere off of the line?  This would allow me to
temporarily see where the individual data points are without having to
redraw using linespoints.  Make sense?  I've seen this with other
plotting tools and it is very helpful.

Thanks

Re: Click curve to highlight?

sfeam
On Friday, 13 May, 2016 15:29:41 Brandon Thigpen wrote:
> Is there any way to 'highlight' a curve by clicking on it?
>
> For example, if I have data plotted as a line, if I could just
> mouse-click anywhere on that line and have it change to linespoints
> until I click somewhere off of the line?  This would allow me to
> temporarily see where the individual data points are without having to
> redraw using linespoints.  Make sense?  I've seen this with other
> plotting tools and it is very helpful.

You can't change the plot style, but you can make the selected
plot be the only thing showing:

1) Click on plot's title in the key area
   (this will blank out that plot, leaving others visible)
2) Use hotkey 'i' to invert which plots are visible/invisible
   Now your selected plot is the only one showing

Re: Click curve to highlight?

Plotter-2
On 13/05/16 21:29, Brandon Thigpen wrote:

> Is there any way to 'highlight' a curve by clicking on it?
>
> For example, if I have data plotted as a line, if I could just
> mouse-click anywhere on that line and have it change to linespoints
> until I click somewhere off of the line?  This would allow me to
> temporarily see where the individual data points are without having to
> redraw using linespoints.  Make sense?  I've seen this with other
> plotting tools and it is very helpful.
>
> Thanks

all lines are different colours by default, so what is the need. Are
talking about a monochrome config. Please explain the need.

several terminals : eg wxt , qt and svg  will hide the line if you click
on its legend in the key. That can help distinguish it, or alternatively
can be used to hide other lines to have a less cluttered view.

Peter.

Re: Click curve to highlight?

tmacchant
> Is there any way to 'highlight' a curve by clicking on it?
>
> For example, if I have data plotted as a line, if I could just
> mouse-click anywhere on that line and have it change to linespoints
> until I click somewhere off of the line?  This would allow me to
> temporarily see where the individual data points are without having to
> redraw using linespoints.  Make sense?  I've seen this with other
> plotting tools and it is very helpful.

Please submit this topic to the feature requests ticket.

https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/feature-requests/

I recommend you to make a SourceForge account before submitting a ticket.
At submitting the ticket, please login before submitting it.

Tatsuro

Re: Click curve to highlight?

bamalabs
Temporarily changing a data set from 'line' to 'linespoints' allows
you to quickly see where and/or how many points exist, without having
to change a script or do a 'replot'.  Or if you have several lines on
top of each other you could quickly 'highlight' one by changing it to
linespoints.  It's just handy at times.

The suggestion to click the in the key to make the line invisible, the
invert it, would work I guess, or...

Currently you can click on a line's entry in the key to make it
'invisible', at least for some terminals.  How about an option to let
that same click change the line to 'linespoints' instead of making it
invisible?

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 4:03 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/05/16 21:29, Brandon Thigpen wrote:
>> Is there any way to 'highlight' a curve by clicking on it?
>>
>> For example, if I have data plotted as a line, if I could just
>> mouse-click anywhere on that line and have it change to linespoints
>> until I click somewhere off of the line?  This would allow me to
>> temporarily see where the individual data points are without having to
>> redraw using linespoints.  Make sense?  I've seen this with other
>> plotting tools and it is very helpful.
>>
>> Thanks

> all lines are different colours by default, so what is the need. Are
> talking about a monochrome config. Please explain the need.
>
> several terminals : eg wxt , qt and svg  will hide the line if you click
> on its legend in the key. That can help distinguish it, or alternatively
> can be used to hide other lines to have a less cluttered view.
>
> Peter.

Re: Click curve to highlight?

sfeam
On Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 16:22:54 Brandon Thigpen wrote:

> Temporarily changing a data set from 'line' to 'linespoints' allows
> you to quickly see where and/or how many points exist, without having
> to change a script or do a 'replot'.  Or if you have several lines on
> top of each other you could quickly 'highlight' one by changing it to
> linespoints.  It's just handy at times.
>
> The suggestion to click the in the key to make the line invisible, the
> invert it, would work I guess, or...
>
> Currently you can click on a line's entry in the key to make it
> 'invisible', at least for some terminals.  How about an option to let
> that same click change the line to 'linespoints' instead of making it
> invisible?

To me this seems too specialized a use to be worth hard-coding it.

How about using one of the general mechanisms that already exist?

For example:

  PS = 0
  plot "foo" with linespoints pointsize PS

# Now you have a plot on the screen that shows no visible points

  bind "1" "PS=1; replot"
  bind "2" "PS=2; replot"
  bind "0" "PS=0; replot"

# Now you have defined hot-keys to change the size of the points in
# the existing plot.

Or a similar example that uses a hotkey to toggle one plot of many:

  PS1=PS2=PS3=PS4=0
  bind "1" "PS1 = PS1 ? 0 : 1; replot"
  bind "2" "PS2 = PS2 ? 0 : 1; replot"
  bind "3" "PS3 = PS3 ? 0 : 1; replot"
  bind "4" "PS4 = PS4 ? 0 : 1; replot"

  plot FILE1 with lp ps PS1, FILE2 with lp ps PS2, FILE3 with lp ps PS3

        Ethan