Quantcast

Combining a 3D and a 2D splot with no surface

Combining a 3D and a 2D splot with no surface

mgraat
Hi all,

I'm trying to combine the plotting of a heightmap (using contourlines) and
a line.

The .plot file basically is as follows:

set size square
set data style lines
set pm3d at b interpolate 10,10
set contour
set cntrparam bspline
set view map
unset surface
splot "results.dat" using ($2):($3):($1) notitle, "line.dat" using 1:2:(0)

The results.dat file contains X, Y and Z values, the line.dat file (which
represent a line y = 2-x) only contains X and Y values, with the Z value,
as you can see, set at a constant of 0.

I use 'unset surface' because otherwise a grid-like figure through the
datapoints in results.dat will be plotted, which is very much undesirable
in my case. However, this also means that the line represented by line.dat
is not plotted. Is this in any way avoidable? That is, can I draw the line
in line.dat without also having the plot the grid-like figure?

Kind regards,

Michiel

Re: Combining a 3D and a 2D splot with no surface

thse
set surface
splot "results.dat" using ($2):($3):($1) with pm3d notitle, "line.dat" using 1:2:(0) with lines

mgraat wrote
[...]

Thanks for your answer, this indeed seems to do the trick. However now the
key (which should show what contourline has which value) only shows
values, not the lines they correspond to, which makes it pretty useless
I'm afraid. I didn't include the key in the plot in my previous E-mail
because I thought it wouldn't be relevant but it seems to be.

To be more exact, I now use the following plotfile:

set terminal postscript eps enhanced monochrome
set output "output.eps"
set title "2009-11-24" offset 0,0.5
set size square
set xrange [1.01:1.2]
set yrange [0.85:0.99]
set xlabel "A"
set ylabel "B"
set xtics out nomirror
set ytics out nomirror
set key at 1.22,0.9
set colorbox vertical user origin .75,.45 size .03,.35
set data style lines
set pm3d at b interpolate 30,30
set contour
set cntrparam bspline
set view map
set surface
splot "results.dat" using ($2):($3):($1) with pm3d notitle, "line.dat"
using 1:2:(0) with lines notitle

Any idea how I can get the lines in the key back?

Kind regards,

Michiel

> set surface
> splot "results.dat" using ($2):($3):($1) with pm3d notitle, "line.dat"
> using
> 1:2:(0) with lines
>

> mgraat wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to combine the plotting of a heightmap (using contourlines)
>> and
>> a line.
>>
>> The .plot file basically is as follows:
>>
>> set size square
>> set data style lines
>> set pm3d at b interpolate 10,10
>> set contour
>> set cntrparam bspline
>> set view map
>> unset surface
>> splot "results.dat" using ($2):($3):($1) notitle, "line.dat" using
>> 1:2:(0)
>>
>> The results.dat file contains X, Y and Z values, the line.dat file
>> (which
>> represent a line y = 2-x) only contains X and Y values, with the Z
>> value,
>> as you can see, set at a constant of 0.
>>
>> I use 'unset surface' because otherwise a grid-like figure through the
>> datapoints in results.dat will be plotted, which is very much
>> undesirable
>> in my case. However, this also means that the line represented by
>> line.dat
>> is not plotted. Is this in any way avoidable? That is, can I draw the
>> line
>> in line.dat without also having the plot the grid-like figure?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Michiel

>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
>> 30-Day
>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
>> focus
>> on
>> Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

Re: Combining a 3D and a 2D splot with no surface

thse
don't use 'notitle' in the 2nd plot

> [...]

>> I use 'unset surface' because otherwise a grid-like figure through the
>> datapoints in results.dat will be plotted, which is very much
>> undesirable
>> in my case. However, this also means that the line represented by
>> line.dat
>> is not plotted. Is this in any way avoidable? That is, can I draw the
>> line
>> in line.dat without also having the plot the grid-like figure?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Michiel

>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
>> 30-Day
>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
>> focus
>> on
>> Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

Re: Combining a 3D and a 2D splot with no surface

No that was not what I meant. If I don't use 'notitle' in the second plot,
a title for the data in line.dat is added, but I need a key which
indicates which contourline, generated in the first plot, corresponds to
which value.

I have created several images which hopefully will clarify the situation
(I apologize for the size of these images).

The first image is basically what I want, except I have not added a plot
for y=2-x yet, it is the situation I started out with:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5849/imageke.png

The second image is what I got after your suggestion to use the first plot
"with pm3d" and to use "set surface". It is almost what I want but, as you
can see, in the key the lines behind the values 50,60,70 and 80 are
missing:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6015/image2r.png

The third image is what I get after your suggestion to remove "notitle"
from the second plot, as you can see, the lines are still missing from the
key:
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8202/image3fb.png

I do not know if what I want is possible, but I would sure like to find
out :)

Finally and to be complete, I use gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 5 (which is
currently the default in the most recent release of Ubuntu).

Kind regards,

Michiel

> splot "results.dat" using ($2):($3):($1) with pm3d notitle, \
> "line.dat" using 1:2:(0) with lines
>

> mgraat wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your answer, this indeed seems to do the trick. However now
>> the
>> key (which should show what contourline has which value) only shows
>> values, not the lines they correspond to, which makes it pretty useless
>> I'm afraid. I didn't include the key in the plot in my previous E-mail
>> because I thought it wouldn't be relevant but it seems to be.
>>
>> To be more exact, I now use the following plotfile:
>>
>> set terminal postscript eps enhanced monochrome
>> set output "output.eps"
>> set title "2009-11-24" offset 0,0.5
>> set size square
>> set xrange [1.01:1.2]
>> set yrange [0.85:0.99]
>> set xlabel "A"
>> set ylabel "B"
>> set xtics out nomirror
>> set ytics out nomirror
>> set key at 1.22,0.9
>> set colorbox vertical user origin .75,.45 size .03,.35
>> set data style lines
>> set pm3d at b interpolate 30,30
>> set contour
>> set cntrparam bspline
>> set view map
>> set surface
>> splot "results.dat" using ($2):($3):($1) with pm3d notitle, "line.dat"
>> using 1:2:(0) with lines notitle
>>
>> Any idea how I can get the lines in the key back?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Michiel
>>

>>> set surface
>>> splot "results.dat" using ($2):($3):($1) with pm3d notitle, "line.dat"
>>> using
>>> 1:2:(0) with lines

>>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
>>> 30-Day
>>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
>>> focus
>>> on
>>> what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
>>> Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
>> 30-Day
>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
>> focus
>> on
>> Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

Re: Combining a 3D and a 2D splot with no surface

thse
in gnuplot version 4.4-rc1 the lines are drawn together
with the key labels.
version 4.2.6 doesn't draw the lines.

mgraat wrote
> [...]

>>> 1:2:(0) with lines

>>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
>>> 30-Day
>>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
>>> focus
>>> on
>>> what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new with
>>> Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
>> 30-Day
>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
>> focus
>> on
>> Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

Re: Combining a 3D and a 2D splot with no surface

mgraat

> in gnuplot version 4.4-rc1 the lines are drawn together

Thank you! Switching to 4.4-rc1 indeed did the trick.