Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Wenqiang Liu
Dear everyone,
I have read several guides and have some basic knowledge of Gnuplot. However, I found nothing about the commands should be used to plot a picture like the one in the attachment.
Although there are some guides for 3D or Pm3d plots, I failed to plot the picture I want. It seems they are of different kinds.
So, I am wondering could anybody give me some instructions on how to plot the picture like the attachment in Gnuplot?
Thanks very much in advance!

With My Best Regards
Liu

Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Wenqiang Liu
Oops, my original email has an attachment. It seems the email post to the list can NOT have an attacnment?
I am freshman to gnuplot mailing list. Could anybody tell me how to upload my pictures as an attachment?
The picture I want to plot using gnuplot is like Figure 5(a) in paper Journal of Nuclear Materials 205 (1993) 52-58. The link is http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/002231159390070F.
Any help would be much appreciated!

With My Best Regards
Liu

Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

zowie
Dear Wenqiang,

Sorry, the article you linked is behind a paywall and nobody can read it.

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 6:48 PM, Wenqiang Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oops, my original email has an attachment. It seems the email post to the list can NOT have an attacnment?
> I am freshman to gnuplot mailing list. Could anybody tell me how to upload my pictures as an attachment?
> The picture I want to plot using gnuplot is like Figure 5(a) in paper Journal of Nuclear Materials 205 (1993) 52-58. The link is http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/002231159390070F.
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> With My Best Regards
> Liu

That worked!

Are those individual curves meant to be pieces of a plane?  Or individual 1-D curves with colored-in regions marking error bars?

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 7:43 PM, Wenqiang Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Craig,
> I am sorry for that. Does gnuplot mailing list support email with attachments? Why the figure attached in my first email disappeared when it posted on the list?
> I am trying to copy the picture in this email directly to see whether it works. If it shows correctly, that is what I want to plot. Otherwise, could you please tell how can I post my figure to everyone on mailing list?
> Thank you very much in advance!
> <Clip(08-19-09-41-34).png>
> With My Best Regards
>  Liu

It seems my email just has sent to your personal email adress. It does not show on the mailing list.
I am sorry I do not quite understand your question about the picture. Due to the restriction of the file size, I change the picture to a much smaller size. I'd like to send a much clearer one to you.
Usually I plot Nd vs time at a certain PKA energy with error bars, that is a 2D plot.
This picture in the attachment plots Nd vs time at several energy on just one figure. It looks like a 3D plot, but actually it just adds another coordinate axis representing the different energy conditions and put several 2D plots together in one figure.
I wish I have made my point clear. Please tell me if not.
Thanks very much for your help!

Best Wishes
Liu

抄送:"Craig DeForest"<[hidden email]>,"gnuplot-info"<[hidden email]>

Dear Wenqiang,

Sorry, the article you linked is behind a paywall and nobody can read it.

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 6:48 PM, Wenqiang Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oops, my original email has an attachment. It seems the email post to the list can NOT have an attacnment?
> I am freshman to gnuplot mailing list. Could anybody tell me how to upload my pictures as an attachment?
> The picture I want to plot using gnuplot is like Figure 5(a) in paper Journal of Nuclear Materials 205 (1993) 52-58. The link is http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/002231159390070F.
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> With My Best Regards
> Liu

Ethan Merritt
On Friday, 19 August 2016 10:15:47 AM Wenqiang Liu wrote:
> Usually I plot Nd vs time at a certain PKA energy with error bars, that is a 2D plot.
> This picture in the attachment plots Nd vs time at several energy on just one figure. It looks like a 3D plot, but actually it just adds another coordinate axis representing the different energy conditions and put several 2D plots together in one figure.
> I wish I have made my point clear. Please tell me if not.

In the end, your plot commands will be

  set surface explicit
  splot 'datafile' using 1:2:3 {other options go here} with lines

Beyond that it depends on the layout of data in your data file.
Is there one data point per line?
A matrix of curves?
Binary data?

        Ethan

> Thanks very much for your help!
>

> Best Wishes
> Liu

mail:   Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg
        MS 357742,   University of Washington, Seattle 98195-7742

Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Wenqiang Liu
Dear Ethan,
I followed your answer and tried to plot my figure.
My original file is 3dtest.txt which is a text file as the first attachment. And then I used splot "3dtest.txt" u 2:1:3 with lines to plot. The generated figure is the same as 3dtest.eps, which is the second attachment.
I found there are lines between X axis and Y axis. But I do not want them.
I think I am approaching my goal, however, there are still some modifications needed.
Could you please give me some more instructions?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Best Regards
Liu

Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Ethan A Merritt-2
On Monday, 22 August 2016 10:01:26 AM Wenqiang Liu wrote:

> Dear Ethan,
> I followed your answer and tried to plot my figure.
> My original file is 3dtest.txt which is a text file as the first attachment. And then I used splot "3dtest.txt" u 2:1:3 with lines to plot. The generated figure is the same as 3dtest.eps, which is the second attachment.
> I found there are lines between X axis and Y axis. But I do not want them.
> I think I am approaching my goal, however, there are still some modifications needed.
> Could you please give me some more instructions?
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Best Regards
> Liu
# plot layout
set xyplane at 0
set grid x y z
set border 0x37F
unset key

# axis and tic labels
set format x "%.2g  keV"
set ytics offset 0, -1          # move ytics down
set ylabel "Time (ps)"  offset 0,-2   # move y label down
set xrange [0.0 : 0.25]

# orientation
set view 70, 100

# plot command
set surface explicit
splot '3dtest.txt' using 1:2:3 with lines linewidth 3

3dtest.gp (317 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Wenqiang Liu
Dear Ethan,
Thanks very much! Your pdf file looks like what I trying to plot.
However, when I load your script, an error message shown, which is
"3dtest.gp", line 13: ';' expected
My gnuplot version is gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 4.
Could you please tell me how to fix this problem?

Best Regards
Liu

抄送:"gnuplot-info"<[hidden email]>,"Craig DeForest"<[hidden email]>

On Monday, 22 August 2016 10:01:26 AM Wenqiang Liu wrote:

> Dear Ethan,
> I followed your answer and tried to plot my figure.
> My original file is 3dtest.txt which is a text file as the first attachment. And then I used splot "3dtest.txt" u 2:1:3 with lines to plot. The generated figure is the same as 3dtest.eps, which is the second attachment.
> I found there are lines between X axis and Y axis. But I do not want them.
> I think I am approaching my goal, however, there are still some modifications needed.
> Could you please give me some more instructions?
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Best Regards
> Liu

# plot layout
set xyplane at 0
set grid x y z
set border 0x37F
unset key

# axis and tic labels
set format x "%.2g  keV"
set ytics offset 0, -1          # move ytics down
set ylabel "Time (ps)"  offset 0,-2   # move y label down
set xrange [0.0 : 0.25]

# orientation
set view 70, 100

# plot command
set surface explicit
splot '3dtest.txt' using 1:2:3 with lines linewidth 3
[attachment]

3dtest.gp
download: http://u.163.com/t0/SuCVfmvp

3dtest.pdf
download: http://u.163.com/t0/kQrkY2ayKWq2

preview: http://u.163.com/t0/W7OKjcijtc

On Monday, 22 August 2016 03:23:54 PM Wenqiang Liu wrote:
> Dear Ethan,
> Thanks very much! Your pdf file looks like what I trying to plot.
> However, when I load your script, an error message shown, which is
> "3dtest.gp", line 13: ';' expected
> My gnuplot version is gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 4.

The full error message includes a pointer to the command that was
not recognized:

set surface explicit
                   ^
"3dtest.gp", line 13: ';' expected

> Could you please tell me how to fix this problem?

Apparently that command is more recent than version 4.6.
It was introduced to solve exactly the problem you are having,
"only connect lines into a surface if the command explicitly says
to plot with surface".

I think  the best option is to update to gnuplot version 5.
I do not recall if there was a work-around in earlier versions.
Maybe someone else remembers.

        Ethan

> Best Regards
> Liu

[SPAM] Re: Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Wenqiang Liu
Dear Ethan,
I successfully installed gnuplot 5.0.4 on win7 (a bit hard for me to upgrade gnuplot on my Ubuntu14.04), and plot the figure using your script. That is very helpful. And thank you very much!
I still have two questions. Could please help me?
The first one is, it seems the lines represent different Nd values (Y aixs) have the same color, it is possible to let them show different colors?
The second one is, is that possible to plot error bars on z axis if I add one column on the text file (the second attachment)?

On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 10:17:15 AM you wrote:
> Dear Ethan,
> I successfully installed gnuplot 5.0.4 on win7 (a bit hard for me to upgrade gnuplot on my Ubuntu14.04), and plot the figure using your script. That is very helpful. And thank you very much!
> I still have two questions. Could please help me?
> The first one is, it seems the lines represent different Nd values (Y aixs) have the same color, it is possible to let them show different colors?

# column(-1) returns the index of the block of data in the file.
# see "help pseudocolumns"
# The index starts at 0 so we add 1 in order to use line colors 1 to N
# lc variable says use the color of linetype N where N is the index of the block.
#
splot '3dtest.txt' using 1:2:3:(1 + column(-1)) with lines linewidth 3 lc variable

> The second one is, is that possible to plot error bars on z axis if I add one column on the text file (the second attachment)?

# There is no "with errorbars" style for 3D plots so we have to draw two plots
# The first one draws the lines as before
# The second draws an errorbar with length +/- column(4) value at each point
#
set style arrow 1 linecolor black heads size 0.2, 90
splot '3dtest.txt' using 1:2:3:(1 + column(-1)) with lines linewidth 3 lc variable, \
         '3dtest.txt' using 1:2:($3-$4):(0):(0):(2*$4) with vectors arrowstyle 1

        Ethan

> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Best Regards
> Liu

That works very well, it is amazing! Thanks for your helps and detailed comments and explanations.
Some command there seems a little complicated and I am trying to get familiar with them.
The obtained figure still seems a llittle different with the original one, as the error bars are shaded band in the original paper, which can be seen in the attachment. But I think it is good enough for me at this moment.
And really thanks a lot for your kindest help!

Best Regards
Liu

Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Wenqiang Liu
Dear Stephen,
Sorry, I forgot the file in previous email.
Here it is.
Thanks for reminding me!

Regards
Liu

> That works very well, it is amazing! Thanks for your helps and detailed
> comments and explanations.
> Some command there seems a little complicated and I am trying to get familiar
> with them.
> The obtained figure still seems a llittle different with the original one, as
> the error bars are shaded band in the original paper, which can be seen in
> the attachment. But I think it is good enough for me at this moment.
> And really thanks a lot for your kindest help!
>
> Best Regards
> Liu

Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

Wenqiang Liu
Opps, it seems the attachment will be deteled automatically by the list?
It disappeared again.
I will send the figure to your personal email address only.

Regards
Liu

> That works very well, it is amazing! Thanks for your helps and detailed
> comments and explanations.
> Some command there seems a little complicated and I am trying to get familiar
> with them.
> The obtained figure still seems a llittle different with the original one, as
> the error bars are shaded band in the original paper, which can be seen in
> the attachment. But I think it is good enough for me at this moment.
> And really thanks a lot for your kindest help!
>
> Best Regards
> Liu

Re: Dear everyone, could you please help me on how to plot a picture like the attachment? Thanks!

tmacchant
>I successfully installed gnuplot 5.0.4 on win7 (a bit hard for me to upgrade gnuplot on my Ubuntu14.04),

To get gnuplot 5.0.4 on Ubuntu 14.04

1. Build from source
 * Download source tar file : gnuplot-5.0.4.tar.gz and place it appropriate folder for build (e.g. ~/work).
 * Open terminal (e.g. CTRL+ALT+T key)
 On the terminal

* preparation
   sudo apt-get build-dep gnuplot
   sudo apt-get update

*build gnuplot
   cd ~/work
   tar zxvf gnuplot-5.0.4.tar.gz
   cd gnuplot-5.0.4
   ./configure
   make
   make check
   sudo make install

* Note that the above instruction is not full featured install.
  For full install of gnuplot-5, you also have to install qt (qt5 is recommended) and
  libcerf (and optional libcaca).

Other  option:
wgnuplot 5.0.4 works on wine 1.8 on Ubuntu 14.04.

Tatsuro