Fwd: Re: configure does not detect missing lua in 5.1

Fwd: Re: configure does not detect missing lua in 5.1

Hans-Bernhard Bröker-2
[Ooops, forgot to CC the list]

Am 26.03.2015 um 22:39 schrieb Philipp K. Janert:

> I just tried to build cvs-tip (5.1) from source and
> encountered the following issue:
>
> The only Lua packages I had installed were the lua
> libraries (liblua, incl dev versions). This was
> enough to build 5.0, including the Lua terminal.

It shouldn't have been.  But back then there was still a pre-built
version of gnuplot-lua-tikz.sty in the repository, but that's a
violation of the general "no generated files go into revision control"
policy.

Nor does it, IMHO, make terribly much sense for your distro to allow
installing liblua and liblua-dev without having the lua core package, too.

./configure --without-lua might have been the cleaner way out.

> The relevant portions of the ./configure output are:

(Relevant portions of) config.log would offer more insight.

> Should ./configure have detected the missing lua
> interpreter?

It did.  That's the "no" result in the first check.  But that didn't
keep the build from trying to use it.  That's a bug in configure.ac.

Re: configure does not detect missing lua in 5.1

Philipp K. Janert
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 00:52:19 +0200
Hans-Bernhard Bröker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Ooops, forgot to CC the list]
>
> Am 26.03.2015 um 22:39 schrieb Philipp K. Janert:
>
> > I just tried to build cvs-tip (5.1) from source and
> > encountered the following issue:
> >
> > The only Lua packages I had installed were the lua
> > libraries (liblua, incl dev versions). This was
> > enough to build 5.0, including the Lua terminal.
>
> It shouldn't have been.  But back then there was still a pre-built
> version of gnuplot-lua-tikz.sty in the repository, but that's a
> violation of the general "no generated files go into revision control"
> policy.

Thanks for the reply.

> Nor does it, IMHO, make terribly much sense for your distro to allow
> installing liblua and liblua-dev without having the lua core package,
> too.

Agree, I was surprised by that, too.

> ./configure --without-lua might have been the cleaner way out.
>
> > The relevant portions of the ./configure output are:
>
> (Relevant portions of) config.log would offer more insight.

Didn't know about that one.

> > Should ./configure have detected the missing lua
> > interpreter?
>
> It did.  That's the "no" result in the first check.  But that didn't
> keep the build from trying to use it.  That's a bug in configure.ac.

Ok.