Gnuplot 4.6 -> 5.0 diffs

Dave Horsfall
Mac OS/X, Yosemite 10.10.2.

Is there a guide to what changed in Gnuplot 5?  I was wondering why my
default colours changed e.g. "lt 1" used to be red, and is now a sort of
purple.

I discovered this after restarting the Mac; I had changed the order of
plots on one graph, restarted the Mac following a network problem, plotted
an unrelated graph, and noticed it.  In the meantime I must've done quite
a few updates to Macports, whilst keeping a Gnuplot window open all the
while (silly me).

I didn't know I was running Gnuplot 5.0.0 until just now, when I went to
confirm the version (I think it used to be 4.6.5 or something).

Comparing the result of "test" with an old one that I'd printed (and
laminated), there's a few small differences such as points now being black
instead of the line colour and pattern fill "9" has disappeared, but the
colours have changed somewhat, for no apparent good reason.

As a result I know have to change *all* of my scripts, except in those
cases where I was using RGB colours.

So, what little surprises may I expect in 5.0?

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)

Re: Gnuplot 4.6 -> 5.0 diffs

Ethan A Merritt-2
On Sunday, 08 March 2015 03:16:39 AM Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Mac OS/X, Yosemite 10.10.2.
>
> Is there a guide to what changed in Gnuplot 5?  I was wondering why my
> default colours changed e.g. "lt 1" used to be red, and is now a sort of
> purple.
>
> I discovered this after restarting the Mac; I had changed the order of
> plots on one graph, restarted the Mac following a network problem, plotted
> an unrelated graph, and noticed it.  In the meantime I must've done quite
> a few updates to Macports, whilst keeping a Gnuplot window open all the
> while (silly me).
>
> I didn't know I was running Gnuplot 5.0.0 until just now, when I went to
> confirm the version (I think it used to be 4.6.5 or something).
>
> Comparing the result of "test" with an old one that I'd printed (and
> laminated), there's a few small differences such as points now being black
> instead of the line colour and pattern fill "9" has disappeared, but the
> colours have changed somewhat, for no apparent good reason.
>
> As a result I know have to change *all* of my scripts, except in those
> cases where I was using RGB colours.
>
> So, what little surprises may I expect in 5.0?

Version 5 is different in a lot of ways.
Hence the bump in major version from 4.* to 5.0

Read the Release Notes, the "What's New" section in the User Manual, etc.

All this and more available to browse on
   http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net