How to ignore "popen failed"?

theozh
Hi,
I would like to plot many files (under Windows) in a multiplot
environment using a loop.
The filenames without extensions are e.g.,
Data1a, Data1b, Data2, Data3, Data3a, Data3b, Data5a, ...

set multiplot layout 3,3
do for [i = 1:9] {
  FileList = system("dir /B /S Data".i."*.dat")
  plot for [FileName in FileList] FileName u 1:2 w l
}
unset multiplot

I want all Data1 in one plot, all Data2 in the next plot, etc.
It varies how many plots (a,b,c,...) of each.
However, it could also happen that, e.g. there is no "Data4" file.

In case there is no matching file in the directory gnuplot exits with a
message "popen failed" and FileList is not changed.
How to ignore "pope failed" and instead just create an empty plot?

Thank you for any hints.

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

ivana richterova
Hi Theo,

what version of gnuplot you are running?

With V5+ and windows 7Pro, I get error message "File not found",
GPVAL_ERRNO is set and gnuplot doesn't exit.

(Then you can decide if plot the graph according to value of
GPVAL_ERRNO or words(FileList))

(Note that since V5.2 gnuplot recognize continue command)

(The empty plot you can get, e.g.: #plot [0:1][0:1] 1/0 not)

Sincerely

Iva

On 27/07/2017, theozh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to plot many files (under Windows) in a multiplot
> environment using a loop.
> The filenames without extensions are e.g.,
> Data1a, Data1b, Data2, Data3, Data3a, Data3b, Data5a, ...
>
> set multiplot layout 3,3
> do for [i = 1:9] {
>   FileList = system("dir /B /S Data".i."*.dat")
>   plot for [FileName in FileList] FileName u 1:2 w l
> }
> unset multiplot
>
> I want all Data1 in one plot, all Data2 in the next plot, etc.
> It varies how many plots (a,b,c,...) of each.
> However, it could also happen that, e.g. there is no "Data4" file.
>
> In case there is no matching file in the directory gnuplot exits with a
> message "popen failed" and FileList is not changed.
> How to ignore "pope failed" and instead just create an empty plot?
>
> Thank you for any hints.

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

theozh
Hi Iva,

thanks for your message.
Sorry, I didn't mention the Version number and OP-System: Win7Pro SP1.
I had gnuplot 5.0 patch 0, was installing 5.0.6 and finally also 5.2 rc2.
with
FileList = system("dir /B xxx*.dat")
and if no file "xxx.dat" is existing, I always get the message "popen
failed", gnuplot terminates and FileList is unchanged.
I don't see any different behaviour with the different gnuplot versions.
What I am doing wrong?
Theo.

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

theozh
well, I don't know awk or cygwin... but a little Perl...
Maybe someone can tell me whether awk, cygwin, ... is smaller, simpler,
faster to install and run... than Perl?
So, the following below seems to be a solution, although, I prefer not
to install Perl or anything else on every machine before I can run the
gnuplot code...
If someone still has a "gnuplot-only" version, please let me know.

During my search, I found a discussion from >10 years ago whether
gnuplot should have a function to check the existance of a file. But it
seems it was rejected.
Why can't gnuplot just give back an empty string instead of terminating?

Perl-Script FileList.pl:
### Perl Script to print a directory list
print qx{"dir /B /S $ARGV[0]"};
### end Perl-Script

### gnuplot code
reset
set multiplot layout 3,3
do for [i = 1:9] {
  FileList = system("perl FileList.pl Data".i."*.dat")
  if (FileList ne "") {
    plot for [FileName in FileList] FileName u 1:2 w l
  }
  else { set multiplot next}
}
unset multiplot
### end gnuplot code

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

Gnuplot - User mailing list
On Thursday, 27 July 2017 09:34:18 theozh wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to plot many files (under Windows) in a multiplot
> environment using a loop.
> The filenames without extensions are e.g.,
> Data1a, Data1b, Data2, Data3, Data3a, Data3b, Data5a, ...
>
> set multiplot layout 3,3
> do for [i = 1:9] {
>   FileList = system("dir /B /S Data".i."*.dat")
>   plot for [FileName in FileList] FileName u 1:2 w l
> }
> unset multiplot
>
> I want all Data1 in one plot, all Data2 in the next plot, etc.
> It varies how many plots (a,b,c,...) of each.
> However, it could also happen that, e.g. there is no "Data4" file.
>
> In case there is no matching file in the directory gnuplot exits with a
> message "popen failed" and FileList is not changed.

The issue is not the missing file per se, it's that apparently Windows
considers this sufficiently severe to return an error code from the
"dir" command.  It isn't a problem on unix/linux, where "ls" will
print a warning message but returns success.    So I imagine it would
be sufficient to wrap your "dir" command in a script MYDIR that always
returns success even if the real "dir" fails:

   FileList = system( "MYDIR Data".1."*.dat" )

> How to ignore "pope failed" and instead just create an empty plot?

You can't ignore "popen failed", you'll have to prevent it from failing.

> Thank you for any hints.

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

ivana richterova
Hi all,

I'd like to declare I don't understand windows. So just small observation.

If I unzip current non-installing version (gp52rc2-win64-mingw.zip), I
get few exe-files in bin-directory.

If I run gnuplot.exe under Win7Pro, it launches in terminal mode. If
dir failes, error message is printed, syscall returns en empty string,
and GPVAL_ERRNO is set correctly. Almost as on linux.

Contrary, if I run wgnuplot.exe, a new window is created. Another
window is created as well for each dir call (and !dir just blink its
window, no data remains). The popen_failed is returned if dir running
in the new window fails.

So I guess, the problem consist in OS libraries: It would be
acceptable solution to run gnuplot scripts with potentially crashing
syscalls by gnuplot clones that are compiled via libraries that don't
produce new windows for syscall.

Sincerely

Iva

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

BBands
This might be an auspicious moment to note that *nix utilities are
available for windows.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/

Very helpful in my opinion,

     John

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

Rob Sargent
Or cygwin

https://www.cygwin.com

On 07/27/2017 12:06 PM, BBands wrote:

> This might be an auspicious moment to note that *nix utilities are
> available for windows.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/
>
> Very helpful in my opinion,
>
>       John

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

theozh
Hi Iva,
thank you for this observation.
Yes, I typically start my scripts under wgnuplot.exe, where the original
code terminates when no file is found.
If I start the same code under the gnuplot.exe terminal it works fine!

Maybe somebody can explain why there is this difference and maybe
whether or how it's possible to make it behave the same under wgnuplot.exe?

So, for the time being, no need for extra software like awk, cygwin,
Perl, wrapper-Script, ...
Thanks, Theo.

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

Dave Horsfall
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017, sfeam via gnuplot-info wrote:

> The issue is not the missing file per se, it's that apparently Windows
> considers this sufficiently severe to return an error code from the
> "dir" command.  It isn't a problem on unix/linux, where "ls" will print
> a warning message but returns success.  So I imagine it would be
> sufficient to wrap your "dir" command in a script MYDIR that always
> returns success even if the real "dir" fails:

Unix (FreeBSD):

aneurin% ls fred
ls: fred: No such file or directory
aneurin% echo $?
1

Linux (Debian):

dave@debbie:~$ ls fred
ls: cannot access fred: No such file or directory
dave@debbie:~$ echo $?
2

You were saying?

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

Ethan A Merritt-2
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Dave Horsfall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2017, sfeam via gnuplot-info wrote:
>
> The issue is not the missing file per se, it's that apparently Windows
>> considers this sufficiently severe to return an error code from the "dir"
>> command.  It isn't a problem on unix/linux, where "ls" will print a warning
>> message but returns success.  So I imagine it would be sufficient to wrap
>> your "dir" command in a script MYDIR that always returns success even if
>> the real "dir" fails:
>>

> Unix (FreeBSD):
>
> aneurin% ls fred
> ls: fred: No such file or directory
> aneurin% echo $?
> 1
>

> Linux (Debian):
>
> dave@debbie:~$ ls fred
> ls: cannot access fred: No such file or directory
> dave@debbie:~$ echo $?
> 2
>

> You were saying

The question is what popen() returns.  Yes I was sloppy in saying "what ls
returns" rather than "what popen("ls","r") returns" but it should have been
clear from the context.  Here it is with a debug printout in place:

gnuplot>
gnuplot> foo = system("ls *.c")
   popen("ls *.c","r") returns 15160096
gnuplot> foo = system("ls fred")
   popen("ls fred","r") returns 15169872
ls: cannot access fred: No such file or directory

man page for "popen" says
RETURN VALUE
       The popen() function returns NULL if the fork(2) or pipe(2) calls
fail, or
       if it cannot allocate memory.

man page for "pipe" says
RETURN VALUE
       On success, zero is returned.  On error, -1 is returned, and errno
is  set
       appropriately.

Clear as mud.  But operationally is evident that pipe() returns zero from
"ls fred"

> --
> Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will
> suffer."

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

tmacchant

> Yes, I typically start my scripts under wgnuplot.exe, where the original
> code terminates when no file is found.
> If I start the same code under the gnuplot.exe terminal it works fine!
>
> Maybe somebody can explain why there is this difference and maybe
> whether or how it's possible to make it behave the same under wgnuplot.exe?
>
> So, for the time being, no need for extra software like awk, cygwin,
> Perl, wrapper-Script, ...
> Thanks, Theo.

What happens you execute the script on wgnuplot_pipes.exe?

Tatsuro

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

theozh
> What happens you execute the script on wgnuplot_pipes.exe?

Thanks, Tatsuro, for that hint. Haven't tried so far.
Well, then it also seems to work :-).
So, problem solved...?!

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

tmacchant

>>  Yes, I typically start my scripts under wgnuplot.exe, where the original
>>  code terminates when no file is found.
>>  If I start the same code under the gnuplot.exe terminal it works fine!
>>
>>  Maybe somebody can explain why there is this difference and maybe
>>  whether or how it's possible to make it behave the same under
> wgnuplot.exe?
>>
>>  So, for the time being, no need for extra software like awk, cygwin,
>>  Perl, wrapper-Script, ...
>>  Thanks, Theo.
>>

> What happens you execute the script on wgnuplot_pipes.exe?
>
> Tatsuro

In windows binary distribution, there is a file named README-Windows.txt
There described

* wgnuplot.exe:  GUI version and the default gnuplot executable. As of version 5
  it emulates pipe functionality.

* wgnuplot_pipes.exe:  Variant with full pipe functionality at the expense of
  an additional console window.

* gnuplot.exe:  Text (console) mode version of the gnuplot executable with full
  pipe functionality as it is common on other platforms. In contrast to
  wgnuplot.exe, this program can also accept commands on stdin (standard input)
  and print messages on stdout (standard output). It replaces pgnuplot.exe and
  is recommended to be used with 3rd party applications using gnuplot as graph
  engine, like e.g. Octave (www.octave.org).

Perhaps what you met is side effect? of pipe emulation.

I have tried

flist=system ("dir /B *.dat")
in the folder where no *.dat on wgnuplot_pipes.exe
A message 'File not found' appears in the additional console  and  "popen failed" does not appear.
I have tried on wgnuplot_pipes.exe

I think that workaround at present is to use wgnuplot_pipes.

BTW, please open a bug ticket on
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/bugs/

This topic should be discussed there but not gnuplot-info list in my opinion.

Tatsuro
Tatsuro

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

tmacchant

I have post a mail before seeing your reply.
OK. I will open bug ticket.

Tatsuro

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

tmacchant

> I have post a mail before seeing your reply.
> OK. I will open bug ticket.
>
> Tatsuro

I have open a bug ticket
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/bugs/1950/

Tatsuro

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

tmacchant

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

theozh
Thanks, Tatsuro and Bastian!

With this it works in all three options
- gnuplot.exe
- wgnuplot_pipes.exe
- wgnuplot.exe

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

tmacchant
> With this it works in all three options

> - gnuplot.exe
> - wgnuplot_pipes.exe
> - wgnuplot.exe

The code for wgnuplot.exe is fixed by Bastian in the current development version (5.3).

flist=system("dir /B *.dat")

under the folder where *.dat does not exist works.

The fix will be applied to 5.2 and 5.0 in the near future after the test
on the development version.

The latest binary packages of the development version is available on my web.

http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/gnuplot/Eng/winbin/

Tatsuro

Re: How to ignore "popen failed"?

tmacchant
> The code for wgnuplot.exe is fixed by Bastian in the current development version
> (5.3).
>
> flist=system("dir /B *.dat")
>
> under the folder where *.dat does not exist works.
>
> The fix will be applied to 5.2 and 5.0 in the near future after the test
> on the development version.

The 5.2-rc3 has just released including windows binary packages where the change is applied.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot/files/gnuplot/5.2%20release%20candidates/

Tatsuro