Ideas for development in 5.3

Gnuplot - Dev mailing list
The start of a new development version is an opportunity to experiment
with code that may or may not make it into a supported release.

What new stuff or major changes would you like to see in gnuplot?
My list of vague ideas includes

Code cleanup
------------
- remove the original axis_log/delog macros
  (not needed since introduction of generic nonlinear axis code)
- remove other obsolete macros.  HUGE? GPFAR?  MSDOS remnants?
- refactor VMS conditionals so that all the code is in vms.c
- look at using math function from libm rather than hard-coding
  them in standard.c.  For example gnuplot's implementation of
  besj0 claims accuracy to 1e-13 but the libm man page for j0
  claims accuracy to 2e-16
- matrix data should be stored as (double) not (float)
- audit all FIXMEs, surely many of them are out of date
- further optimization of STORE_WITH_LOG_AND_UPDATE_RANGE
  to increase speed and reduce code size

Build system options
--------------------
- make OSX autoconf more reliable
- offer all-qt or all-cairo build targets
- offer emscriptem build target

Terminals
---------
- canvas terminal overhaul (use browser's font support)
- dxy (support newer version of the standard)
- aquaterm (mousing!)
- svg (animation)
- latex terminals (gnuplot enhanced text => LaTeX conversion)

Fitting
-------
- Alternative algorithms (i.e. not Levenberg-Marquardt)

Core extensions
-----------------
- support 64-bit integer arithmetic for evaluation
- isosurfaces (3D contouring of 4D data)
- rethink the parallel plot implementation
- builtin equivalent to "save '|gpsavediff > outfile'"
- barycentric coordinate plots
- bubble charts
- Q-Q plots

Re: Ideas for development in 5.3

Philipp K. Janert
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 13:33:05 -0700
Ethan A Merritt via gnuplot-beta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The start of a new development version is an opportunity to experiment
> with code that may or may not make it into a supported release.

This is not a feature-level suggestions, but I want
to raise it nevertheless:

Should we revisit the issue of reducing gnuplot's
reliance on CVS and SourceForge?

I am concerned about long-term viability, both with
respect to CVS, but also with respect to SourceForge.
I seem to remember some talk from a few months back
that SourceForge might be changing their licensing
terms...

What's more, gnuplot's "no forking" clause prevents
individual versions from living on GitHub (or equivalent),
in case something DOES happen to SourceForge.

I think a few years went by since this whole repository
issue was last discussed - maybe it's time to revisit
it? Has anything changed that might make it easier to
port to a new repository today?

Best,

                Ph.