Intermittent problem with inline plot ranges

Intermittent problem with inline plot ranges

Philipp K. Janert

I have observed an intermittent (not reliably repeatable)
problem with inline plot ranges. Has anybody else seen this?

Basically, some times plot ranges seem to get "stuck",
rather than defaulting back to [*:*].

Consider the following sequence of commands:

plot "file" u 1:2
plot [:100] "file" u 1:2
plot "file" u 1:2

I'd expect the third call to produce the same plot as the
first. Most of the time this is true, but sometimes the
third call produces the same result as the second, and I
need to use plot [:*] "file" u 1:2.

I have also observed this behavior for the vertical axis.

I have not been able to identify the circumstances that
lead to this behavior.

Has anybody seen something similar or some hypotheses,
that might help narrow down on the conditions that
produce this behavior?

Best,

                Ph.

Re: Intermittent problem with inline plot ranges

Plotter-2
On 16/06/16 03:34, Philipp K. Janert wrote:

> I have observed an intermittent (not reliably repeatable)
> problem with inline plot ranges. Has anybody else seen this?
>
> Basically, some times plot ranges seem to get "stuck",
> rather than defaulting back to [*:*].
>
> Consider the following sequence of commands:
>
> plot "file" u 1:2
> plot [:100] "file" u 1:2
> plot "file" u 1:2
>
> I'd expect the third call to produce the same plot as the
> first. Most of the time this is true, but sometimes the
> third call produces the same result as the second, and I
> need to use plot [:*] "file" u 1:2.
>
> I have also observed this behavior for the vertical axis.
>
> I have not been able to identify the circumstances that
> lead to this behavior.
>
> Has anybody seen something similar or some hypotheses,
> that might help narrow down on the conditions that
> produce this behavior?
>
> Best,
>
> Ph.

If you have selected a range manually ( mouse selected zoom ) the third
line will not remove the implicit ranges you have set.   If you then
want to plot [:*] "file" u 1:2  , you will have to do so explicitly to
remove the range settings applied with the mouse.

Could that be the source of the 'inconsistency' ?

Peter.

Re: Intermittent problem with inline plot ranges

Philipp K. Janert

[snip]

> If you have selected a range manually ( mouse selected zoom ) the
> third line will not remove the implicit ranges you have set.   If you
> then want to plot [:*] "file" u 1:2  , you will have to do so
> explicitly to remove the range settings applied with the mouse.
>
> Could that be the source of the 'inconsistency' ?

Ah - interesting hint! I forgot to mention in my
original email that I never set plot ranges with
the mouse, so that's not it.

But your suggestion made me think of something else:
occasionally I use the cursor-keys when the plot
window has focus (which moves the plot). I only do
this by accident (because I don't find that feature
useful). But apparently, doing so does an implied
"set xrange".

This behavior is reproducible, so that's probably
the explanation for what I have seen. Thanks for the
hint.

Best,

                Ph.