Quantcast

License

Robert Hart
Hi,

I was just trying to brush up on the license of gnuplot. I only recently
realised it isn't GPL. I've done a bit of googling, so I'm aware that
the original authors are MIA, and therefore the license is unlikely to
change - (I big shame in my opinion). I guess my question is: Without
the original authors, how are we able to distribute new versions of
(i.e. changes to) gnuplot?

Rob

--
Robert Hart <[hidden email]>
University of Nottingham

Re: License

Lars Hecking
Robert Hart writes:
> Hi,
>
> I was just trying to brush up on the license of gnuplot. I only recently
> realised it isn't GPL. I've done a bit of googling, so I'm aware that
> the original authors are MIA, and therefore the license is unlikely to
> change - (I big shame in my opinion). I guess my question is: Without
> the original authors, how are we able to distribute new versions of
> (i.e. changes to) gnuplot?

 I am the point of contact for Thomas Williams. It is Colin Kelley who is MIA.
 There were never any problems getting permissions for the release, and
 Tomas has been very impressed with the new features in 4.0.

Re: License

Hans-Bernhard Bröker
Robert Hart wrote:
> I was just trying to brush up on the license of gnuplot. I only recently
> realised it isn't GPL. I've done a bit of googling, so I'm aware that
> the original authors are MIA,

Only one is MIA.  The other is just off to other business, but could be
reached if necessary.  That's how we got the license (slightly) changed
from 3.5 to 3.7, and versions 3.7.* to 4.0 blessed "official".