Mac-related buglets

Allin Cottrell
In building gnuplot for the Mac lately, I've run into a few minor
issues.

1) When you're building wxt using the cocoa version of wxWidgets,
the gnuplot 5.0.3 build wants to drag in the GTK libraries even
though they're not relevant. This is easily fixed by back-porting a
stanza from configure.ac in CVS. Patch attached:
gnuplot-503-configure.in.diff.

2) There's a couple of apparently dodgy calls to abs() in
aquaterm.trm, in the function ENHAQUA_open, which draw warnings
from clang:

   if (abs(base)>0.01) ...

and

   if (abs(fontsize - AQUA_fontSizeCur)>0.01) ...

abs() is a standard library function that takes an int argument and
returns an int, but here "base" and "fontsize" are doubles. It does
look as if fabs() should be used instead.

3) In the toolbar at the top of the wxt window, gnuplot mixes and
matches icons provided in bitmap form in the gnuplot source tree and
others provided by wxWidgets' wxArt module. This works OK on some
platforms but produces a rather horrid appearance with the cocoa
version of wx. My suggestion is to cut out wxArt and provide all the
icons in uniform bitmap format. This involves adding one bitmap and
making minor changes to wxt_gui.cpp and wxt_gui.h. The files to do
this can be found at

http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/pub/gnuplot/patches/

save_png.h is supposed to go into src/wxterminal/bitmaps/png/ and
the two .diff files are supposed to be applied in src/wxterminal.

Thanks to Mojca, we have "before" and "after" images:

before:
http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/pub/gnuplot/patches/gnuplot-wxt-default.png

after:
http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/pub/gnuplot/patches/gnuplot-wxt-allin.png

So far as I can tell (from using wxt on Linux), this modification
doesn't mess up the appearance on platforms other than the Mac.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

gnuplot-503-configure.in.diff (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac-related buglets

tmacchant
> 3) In the toolbar at the top of the wxt window, gnuplot mixes and matches icons

> provided in bitmap form in the gnuplot source tree and others provided by
> wxWidgets' wxArt module. This works OK on some platforms but produces a
> rather horrid appearance with the cocoa version of wx. My suggestion is to cut
> out wxArt and provide all the icons in uniform bitmap format. This involves
> adding one bitmap and making minor changes to wxt_gui.cpp and wxt_gui.h. The
> files to do this can be found at
>
> http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/pub/gnuplot/patches/
>
> save_png.h is supposed to go into src/wxterminal/bitmaps/png/ and the two .diff
> files are supposed to be applied in src/wxterminal.
>
> Thanks to Mojca, we have "before" and "after" images:
>
> before:
> http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/pub/gnuplot/patches/gnuplot-wxt-default.png
>
> after:
> http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/pub/gnuplot/patches/gnuplot-wxt-allin.png
>
> So far as I can tell (from using wxt on Linux), this modification doesn't
> mess up the appearance on platforms other than the Mac.
>
> -- Allin Cottrell

I think that it is better if your patch will be imported to the CVS tree.
Please make a bug ticket and discuss there.

Tatsuro