Quantcast

Partial support for Unicode in wgnuplot

Bastian Märkisch
While gnuplot on Windows handles UTF-8 encoded files just fine, it
currently does not support Unicode input via the keyboard. The patch at

   https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/patches/727/

aims to overcome that restriction.  It makes wgnuplot (not console mode
gnuplot) accept Unicode keyboard input.  Internally, it is converted to
whatever the currently `set encoding` is, which may be utf8.

The display code still wrongly assumes that all characters have equal
width, which affects command line editing. Also only code points  U+0000
to U+D7FF and U+E000 to U+FFFF are supported.

For testing purposes I have uploaded a 64bit binary build as zip package to:

   https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot/files/gnuplot/testing/

Comments greatly appreciated!
Happy testing,

   Bastian

Re: Partial support for Unicode in wgnuplot

tmacchant
> From: Bastian Märkisch

> To: gnuplot-beta
> Date: 2016/3/31, Thu 05:50
> Subject: Partial support for Unicode in wgnuplot
>
> While gnuplot on Windows handles UTF-8 encoded files just fine, it
> currently does not support Unicode input via the keyboard. The patch at
>
>   https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/patches/727/
>
> aims to overcome that restriction.  It makes wgnuplot (not console mode
> gnuplot) accept Unicode keyboard input.  Internally, it is converted to
> whatever the currently `set encoding` is, which may be utf8.
>
> The display code still wrongly assumes that all characters have equal
> width, which affects command line editing. Also only code points  U+0000
> to U+D7FF and U+E000 to U+FFFF are supported.
>
> For testing purposes I have uploaded a 64bit binary build as zip package to:
>
>   https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot/files/gnuplot/testing/
>
> Comments greatly appreciated!
> Happy testing,
>
>    Bastian

Great Job!

I have done a quick test and reported to the patch ticket.

Tatsuro