Re: Plotting in real time

Matt Rhodes
Sig Lange <sig.lange <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to plot data in real time. I am not sure if this is
> possible but I would like to have time on my X axis, and various
> values on Y. I know this could be possible by tailing the last "20
> entries" of a file and then feeding that into gnuplot, but was
> wondering if there was a better way.
>

> Has anyone any other alternative than feeding gnuplot a "plot
> 'myfile.txt' with lines" every update interval?
>
> I tried feeding data into gnuplot via a fifo but graphing didn't start
> until the fifo was closed on the  writing end. Is there a way around
> that?
>
> I understand that gnuplot would have to shift the graph or redraw the
> entire thing, this may not have been considered when designing.
>
> TIA,
> Sig

Hey Sig-

    I have been trying to do the same thing with plotting in real time using
Gnuplot and was wondering if you have gotten anywhere with this?  I have seen a
program that does it, kinda, but i have not been able to completely disect how
it does it as of yet.  If you are still trying to figure it out as well, let me
know and if i get anywhere with this other program, ill let ya know

   -Matt

Re: Plotting in real time

Petr Mikulik
> > Has anyone any other alternative than feeding gnuplot a "plot
> > 'myfile.txt' with lines" every update interval?

plot '-'
1 2
2 4

> > I tried feeding data into gnuplot via a fifo but graphing didn't start
> > until the fifo was closed on the  writing end. Is there a way around
> > that?

fflush(out);

---
PM