Short horizontal line become exaggerated in saved plots

Short horizontal line become exaggerated in saved plots

Rob Sargent
Hoping third times the charm, with this posting.  My first was rejected
as not-a-member, the second seems to have simply wafted away...

I'm running gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 6 on RHEL 6.6.

I draw a number of (usually quite short) lines 4pt thick throughout the
plot. In the interactive window these are so short they are often barely
visible (and that's a good thing). But they become exaggerated in the
(viewing of) the saved plot, using jpeg, png or gif.

My line style for these is: set style line 4 linewidth 4 lc rgb "#8550FF"

each of them is plotted from a generated file of this form:

    1    23057190    2.709457    0.000000    23057190
    1    24552835    2.709457    0.000000    24552835

with this directive:

    plot ... redo/1801/wpw/runAvgRatio.0163257164" using 2:3 title ""
    axes x1y2 ls 4 with line [,another/file]*

and there are hundreds of them. the X values are base position on a
chromosome scaled to full genome (0..3,000,000,000)

I view the saved images in either emacs (I know) or gimp or "eye of
GNOME" and see the same bloat.

Does anyone have an explanation, or better yet a solution?

Happy to ship my plotable file, but keep in mind it references lots of
the line files.

Re: Short horizontal line become exaggerated in saved plots

Hans-Bernhard Bröker-2
Am 14.04.2015 um 01:40 schrieb Rob Sargent:
> Hoping third times the charm, with this posting.  My first was rejected
> as not-a-member, the second seems to have simply wafted away...
>
> I'm running gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 6 on RHEL 6.6.

Well, that version is old: 5.5 years.  So the first and foremost
suggestion must be: update to something at least remotely current, like
4.6 pl 6, or even 5.0

> I draw a number of (usually quite short) lines 4pt thick throughout the
> plot. In the interactive window these are so short they are often barely
> visible (and that's a good thing). But they become exaggerated in the
> (viewing of) the saved plot, using jpeg, png or gif.

Well, what do you expect a discrete, pixel-based terminal to do? You
didn't even reveal how big you make those images...

> each of them is plotted from a generated file of this form:
>
>      1    23057190    2.709457    0.000000    23057190
>      1    24552835    2.709457    0.000000    24552835

That's a line covering just 1/2000th of your x axis range.  That leaves
a normal-sized pixel image only one of two choices: display nothing at
all, or display at least one pixel.  Neither of which you appear to
want.  So what did you expect to happen?

On 04/14/2015 02:44 PM, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:

> Am 14.04.2015 um 01:40 schrieb Rob Sargent:
>> Hoping third times the charm, with this posting.  My first was rejected
>> as not-a-member, the second seems to have simply wafted away...
>>
>> I'm running gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 6 on RHEL 6.6.
>
> Well, that version is old: 5.5 years.  So the first and foremost
> suggestion must be: update to something at least remotely current,
> like 4.6 pl 6, or even 5.0

 From where I sit, that's the release on RHEL. I do have rpm's for 4.6
but I'm hesitant to rock the install boat for this utility. Call me
chicken but several attempt to modernize RHEL 6 have been troublesome.
>> I draw a number of (usually quite short) lines 4pt thick throughout the
>> plot. In the interactive window these are so short they are often barely
>> visible (and that's a good thing). But they become exaggerated in the
>> (viewing of) the saved plot, using jpeg, png or gif.
>
> Well, what do you expect a discrete, pixel-based terminal to do? You
> didn't even reveal how big you make those images...
I typically define the window as 1600x400 for the saved images.
Interactively I do not specify a window geometry; simply stretch the
window and play with regions using the right-click-drag.

>> each of them is plotted from a generated file of this form:
>>
>>      1    23057190    2.709457    0.000000    23057190
>>      1    24552835    2.709457    0.000000    24552835
>
> That's a line covering just 1/2000th of your x axis range.  That
> leaves a normal-sized pixel image only one of two choices: display
> nothing at all, or display at least one pixel.  Neither of which you
> appear to want.  So what did you expect to happen?
Perhaps I expect too much.  The interactive viewer (x11) does a
perfectly acceptable single pixel rendering.  I'm confused why in the
saved images, in multiple formats, viewed by a variety of tools, these
barely noticeable lines are puffed up. Oh and whether or not I can do
anything about it - if it's a problem in the save-to-file action of
gnuplot I will upgrade to 4.6 (maybe 5) if this is a known, and fixed,
issue.

Thanks,
rjs