Quantcast

Splot 3d data file format

abderrazzak EL BOUKILI
Please tell me what is the format of the data file for
splot to plott a real 3d function on 3d mesh. I know hwo to generate a file
in a scattered
   form:

for x in [x0, xe]
  for y in [y0,ye]
   for z in [z0, ze]
           x  y  z   f(x,y,z)

end

PLease tell what to do using pm3d. Thank you very much

Patrick

Re: Splot 3d data file format

Hans-Bernhard Bröker
abderrazzak EL BOUKILI wrote:
> Please tell me what is the format of the data file for
> splot to plott a real 3d function on 3d mesh. I know hwo to generate a
> file in a scattered
>   form:
>
> for x in [x0, xe]
>  for y in [y0,ye]
>   for z in [z0, ze]
>           x  y  z   f(x,y,z)

In gnuplot (and some other tools') parlance, that's actually a 4D
dataset you're talking about.  gnuplot doesn't really do 4D, also known
as 'volumetric' data plotting.  It does 3D plotting, i.e. surfaces of
(almost) arbitrary shapes, and nowadays it can add colour to such
surfaces, but that's it.