Quantcast

Time to think of version 5.2?

sfeam
All opinions welcome!

It has been 3 years since the initial release candidate for version 5.0
(5.0-rc1 May 2014)

I am thinking that it's about time to split off a branch of the current development
source tree that will become version 5.2.   The development tree itself will then
be renumbered from 5.1 to 5.3.

This would not by itself mean that we are ready to put out a 5.2-rc1 for testing,
but it does mean that after the split new patches applied to the
development branch would not automatically also affect the stable branch 5.2.
For that reason I don't want to make the split if there are a bunch of patches
likely to arrive soon or fixes that will be needed for both the stable and development
branches.

So I'm asking.

- Are there any outstanding issues that should be fixed before an initial
testing version of 5.2?

- I know that Bastian has been gradually converting the Windows code from
GDI/GDI+ to a newer DirectWrite API.  Is this in a reasonable state or is there
more work coming that should go in before branching off 5.2?

- Are there any other arguments for or against starting a 5.2-stable branch?

Regardless of timing of a 5.2 branch I expect that there will be a release
5.0.7 in Sep/Oct of 2017.

Re: Time to think of version 5.2?

tmacchant

> It has been 3 years since the initial release candidate for version 5.0
> (5.0-rc1 May 2014)
>
> I am thinking that it's about time to split off a branch of the current
> development
> source tree that will become version 5.2.   The development tree itself will
> then
> be renumbered from 5.1 to 5.3.
>
> This would not by itself mean that we are ready to put out a 5.2-rc1 for
> testing,
> but it does mean that after the split new patches applied to the
> development branch would not automatically also affect the stable branch 5.2.
> For that reason I don't want to make the split if there are a bunch of
> patches
> likely to arrive soon or fixes that will be needed for both the stable and
> development
> branches.
>
> So I'm asking.
>
> - Are there any outstanding issues that should be fixed before an initial
> testing version of 5.2?
>
> - I know that Bastian has been gradually converting the Windows code from
> GDI/GDI+ to a newer DirectWrite API.  Is this in a reasonable state or is there
> more work coming that should go in before branching off 5.2?
>
> - Are there any other arguments for or against starting a 5.2-stable branch?
>
> Regardless of timing of a 5.2 branch I expect that there will be a release
> 5.0.7 in Sep/Oct of 2017.
>

>     Ethan

Great! I completely agree with your proposal.

Tatsuro