Why the gd based terminal does support character entity reference ?

Why the gd based terminal does support character entity reference ?

tmacchant
Hello

I made a feature request:

Supports character entity reference

https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/feature-requests/440/

As I wrote there, on the gd based terminals, one can use

for example following code to write a Greek symbol "theta".

set term png
set output 'test.png'
plot sin(x) title '{/:Italic \θ}'
set output

Why this feature only supports on the gd based terminals?

Does anyone know reasons?

Tatsurp

Re: Why the gd based terminal does support character entity reference ?

sfeam
On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 10:36:44 AM Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> Hello
>
> I made a feature request:
>
> Supports character entity reference
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/feature-requests/440/
>
> As I wrote there, on the gd based terminals, one can use
>
> for example following code to write a Greek symbol "theta".
>
> set term png
> set output 'test.png'
> plot sin(x) title '{/:Italic \θ}'
> set output
>
> Why this feature only supports on the gd based terminals?
>
> Does anyone know reasons?

libgd includes a table of character entity names that maps them to
the ISO-10646 code point for that character:

https://github.com/libgd/libgd/blob/master/src/entities.h

The text-handling routine in libgd uses this table to replace
for example "\&theta" with ISO-10646 codepoint 952.

Re: Why the gd based terminal does support character entity reference ?

tmacchant
> From: sfeam

> To: gnuplot-beta Tatsuro MATSUOKA
> Date: 2016/3/22, Tue 15:22
> Subject: Re: Why  the gd based terminal does support character entity reference ?
>
> On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 10:36:44 AM Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>>  Hello
>>
>>  I made a feature request:
>>
>>  Supports character entity reference
>>
>>  https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/feature-requests/440/
>>
>>  As I wrote there, on the gd based terminals, one can use
>>
>>  for example following code to write a Greek symbol "theta".
>>
>>  set term png
>>  set output 'test.png'
>>  plot sin(x) title '{/:Italic \θ}'
>>  set output
>>
>>  Why this feature only supports on the gd based terminals?
>>
>>  Does anyone know reasons?
>
> libgd includes a table of character entity names that maps them to
> the ISO-10646 code point for that character:
>
> https://github.com/libgd/libgd/blob/master/src/entities.h
>
> The text-handling routine in libgd uses this table to replace
> for example "\&theta" with ISO-10646 codepoint 952.
>
>     Ethan

Thanks for the explanations.

OK. I understand situations.

Tatsuro