automake help

sfeam
Current cvs for 5.1 and 5.2 has an odd automake glitch that
I do not understand.

"make" run on linux creates a file
    docs/windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o
that surely isn't needed.

"make dist" includes that file in the generated tarball.
Other *.o files are discarded when packing up the files
for distribution.  Why not this one?
Why does it even exist in the first place?

Re: automake help

Daniel J Sebald
On 05/22/2017 06:15 PM, Ethan A Merritt wrote:

> Current cvs for 5.1 and 5.2 has an odd automake glitch that
> I do not understand.
>
> "make" run on linux creates a file
>     docs/windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o
> that surely isn't needed.
>
> "make dist" includes that file in the generated tarball.
> Other *.o files are discarded when packing up the files
> for distribution.  Why not this one?
> Why does it even exist in the first place?

ChangeLog has some entries:

ChangeLog: in turn is triggered by docs/doc2wxhtml requring src/version.c.
ChangeLog: * docs/Makefile.am (doc2wxhtml_SOURCES): Remove use of version.c.
ChangeLog: * docs/Makefile.am (noinst_PROGRAMS): Add doc2wxhtml.
ChangeLog: (doc2wxhtml_SOURCES, doc2wxhtml_CPPFLAGS): Use automake to build

This entry seems related:

2016-01-16  Hans-Bernhard Broeker  <[hidden email]>

Dan

Re: automake help

Allin Cottrell
On Mon, 22 May 2017, Ethan A Merritt wrote:

> Current cvs for 5.1 and 5.2 has an odd automake glitch that
> I do not understand.
>
> "make" run on linux creates a file
>    docs/windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o
> that surely isn't needed.
>
> "make dist" includes that file in the generated tarball.
> Other *.o files are discarded when packing up the files
> for distribution.  Why not this one?
> Why does it even exist in the first place?

In docs/Makefile.am, the EXTRA_DIST variable includes "windows". Not
sure, but I guess that would drag in anything that gets created in
the windows directory? (Unless one builds out of tree, which is
generally a good idea anyway.)

In docs/Makefile.in we have references to this thing
windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o. That's the only object file to be
written into the docs/windows directory, all the others just go into
docs. That itself seems like an anomaly.

"Not needed": well, it's "needed" to build the program doc2wxhtml,
which is apparently not being marked as platform-specific. Is that
wanted in connection with the wxt terminal at all?

Allin Cottrell

Re: automake help

sfeam
On Monday, 22 May 2017 08:06:18 PM Allin Cottrell wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2017, Ethan A Merritt wrote:
>
> > Current cvs for 5.1 and 5.2 has an odd automake glitch that
> > I do not understand.
> >
> > "make" run on linux creates a file
> >    docs/windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o
> > that surely isn't needed.
> >
> > "make dist" includes that file in the generated tarball.
> > Other *.o files are discarded when packing up the files
> > for distribution.  Why not this one?
> > Why does it even exist in the first place?
>
> In docs/Makefile.am, the EXTRA_DIST variable includes "windows". Not
> sure, but I guess that would drag in anything that gets created in
> the windows directory?

Correct.

> (Unless one builds out of tree, which is
> generally a good idea anyway.)

The same thing happens for an out of tree build.

> In docs/Makefile.in we have references to this thing
> windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o. That's the only object file to be
> written into the docs/windows directory, all the others just go into
> docs. That itself seems like an anomaly.

I agree.

> "Not needed": well, it's "needed" to build the program doc2wxhtml,
> which is apparently not being marked as platform-specific. Is that
> wanted in connection with the wxt terminal at all?

Not that I can see.  The program source windows/doc2html.c
contains the comment
/*
 * doc2html.c  -- program to convert Gnuplot .DOC format to MS Windows
 * HTML help (.html) format.

So I think it is only needed for windows. By the way, when I run the program
it only processes Part I of the documentation.  Parts 2-5 are ignored.
So the program may have bugs separate from this build problem.

        Ethan

> Allin Cottrell

AW: automake help

Bastian Märkisch
wxWidgets can use a help format (htb), which is actually similar to what is
used for chm files on Windows.
The idea was to use that as online help on non-Windows platforms eventually.
In fact, Dan Sebald worked on that:
https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/patches/707/
(but as is this patch breaks the original use on Windows)

So in short, doc2html works as intended on Windows (all sections), but as of
now the doc2wxhtml variant is not in use.

The Makefile code changed, but the original commit was (Changelog.3):

2011-03-07  Bastian Maerkisch  <[hidden email]>

        * docs/Makefile.in: add new target 'htb' to create help file
        compatible with wxWidgets help viewer

Re: AW: automake help

sfeam
On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 10:05:16 AM Bastian Märkisch wrote:
> wxWidgets can use a help format (htb), which is actually similar to what is
> used for chm files on Windows.
> The idea was to use that as online help on non-Windows platforms eventually.
> In fact, Dan Sebald worked on that:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/patches/707/
> (but as is this patch breaks the original use on Windows)

Thanks for reminding me about that patch.
[adding Dan Sebald to the cc list]
That patch did not work for me for either wxt or qt when I looked at it in 2015.
I have not gone back to it since then.

Regardless of the potential to share creation of html documentation
among multiple platforms in the future, right now I am trying to sort out
how to prepare a distribution tarballs without dragging in extra files.

I don't want to break the build on windows, so please comment on the
following options.

1) Edit docs/Makefile.am to remove the target
noinst_PROGRAMS = ... doc2wxhtml

2) Leave doc2wxhtml as a target but explicitly list a subset of files in subdirectory
docs/windows that should be packaged rather than including the entire subdirectory.
In this case what exactly are the needed files?

3) Fix the automake rules that are leaving a *.o file in the windows subdirectory.

(1) works but breaks "make htb"
(2) would work but I don't know which files to list
(3) I have not even a vague idea how to do this!

As a separate but less pressing issue it would be nice to fix the make rules
for "make htb".   Right now it fails because there is no subdirectory docs/wxhelp.
But even if I create that subdirectory the *.html files produced are broken because
some files are placed in .../windows and others in .../wxhelp yet the href= links
assume all files are in the same place.  I'll add this to the tracker for patch 707

        thanks for any insight

                Ethan

> So in short, doc2html works as intended on Windows (all sections), but as of
> now the doc2wxhtml variant is not in use.
>
> The Makefile code changed, but the original commit was (Changelog.3):
>
> 2011-03-07  Bastian Maerkisch  <[hidden email]>
>
> * docs/Makefile.in: add new target 'htb' to create help file
> compatible with wxWidgets help viewer

Re: AW: automake help

Daniel J Sebald
On 05/23/2017 11:36 AM, sfeam wrote:

> On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 10:05:16 AM Bastian Märkisch wrote:
>> wxWidgets can use a help format (htb), which is actually similar to what is
>> used for chm files on Windows.
>> The idea was to use that as online help on non-Windows platforms eventually.
>> In fact, Dan Sebald worked on that:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/patches/707/
>> (but as is this patch breaks the original use on Windows)
>
> Thanks for reminding me about that patch.
> [adding Dan Sebald to the cc list]
> That patch did not work for me for either wxt or qt when I looked at it in 2015.
> I have not gone back to it since then.
>
> Regardless of the potential to share creation of html documentation
> among multiple platforms in the future, right now I am trying to sort out
> how to prepare a distribution tarballs without dragging in extra files.
>
> I don't want to break the build on windows, so please comment on the
> following options.
>
> 1) Edit docs/Makefile.am to remove the target
> noinst_PROGRAMS = ... doc2wxhtml
>
> 2) Leave doc2wxhtml as a target but explicitly list a subset of files in subdirectory
> docs/windows that should be packaged rather than including the entire subdirectory.
> In this case what exactly are the needed files?
>
> 3) Fix the automake rules that are leaving a *.o file in the windows subdirectory.

The "windows" directory name adds to my confusion.  Is this a
Windows-only thing?  When I build (out of tree) on linux with

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.14.1

I see docs/windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o after make in the
build-directory tree, then that directory is empty after doing a "make
clean".

Is the suspicion that on Windows or particular versions of automake that
doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o is being built in the source-directory tree and
then doesn't get cleaned properly?

Oddly, when running "make dist" I'm running into this very old issue:

https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/bugs/655/

i.e.,:

~~~
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/graphics.cfg)
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/pdftex-def/pdftex.def))))

! LaTeX Error: File `picins.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)
~~~

Dan

--

Dan Sebald
email: daniel(DOT)sebald(AT)ieee(DOT)org

Re: AW: automake help

sfeam
On Tuesday, 23 May, 2017 12:37:28 Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> On 05/23/2017 11:36 AM, sfeam wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 10:05:16 AM Bastian Märkisch wrote:
> >> wxWidgets can use a help format (htb), which is actually similar to what is
> >> used for chm files on Windows.
> >> The idea was to use that as online help on non-Windows platforms eventually.
> >> In fact, Dan Sebald worked on that:
> >> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/patches/707/
> >> (but as is this patch breaks the original use on Windows)
> >
> > Thanks for reminding me about that patch.
> > [adding Dan Sebald to the cc list]
> > That patch did not work for me for either wxt or qt when I looked at it in 2015.
> > I have not gone back to it since then.
> >
> > Regardless of the potential to share creation of html documentation
> > among multiple platforms in the future, right now I am trying to sort out
> > how to prepare a distribution tarballs without dragging in extra files.
> >
> > I don't want to break the build on windows, so please comment on the
> > following options.
> >
> > 1) Edit docs/Makefile.am to remove the target
> > noinst_PROGRAMS = ... doc2wxhtml
> >
> > 2) Leave doc2wxhtml as a target but explicitly list a subset of files in subdirectory
> > docs/windows that should be packaged rather than including the entire subdirectory.
> > In this case what exactly are the needed files?
> >
> > 3) Fix the automake rules that are leaving a *.o file in the windows subdirectory.
>
> The "windows" directory name adds to my confusion.  Is this a
> Windows-only thing?  When I build (out of tree) on linux with
>
> $ automake --version
> automake (GNU automake) 1.14.1
>
> I see docs/windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o after make in the
> build-directory tree, then that directory is empty after doing a "make
> clean".

Right. That is the exact issue that is causing problems for me.
It's fine that "make clean" works, but this does not stop the *.o file from
being included in the source distribution package from "make dist".

> Oddly, when running "make dist" I'm running into this very old issue:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/bugs/655/
> ! LaTeX Error: File `picins.sty' not found.

picins.sty is a LaTeX style file.  Because some people are not
happy with the [lack of] accompanying license statement, some distros
no longer include it in their base TeX package.
You can download it separately from CTAN just like any other TeX component.

Note that most users don't run into this since the *.pdf documentation
is provided already built in the distribution package.  The picins file is
only needed if you are re-creating the pdf file, i.e. when preparing
a new distribution package.

        Ethan

> Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
> or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)
> ~~~
>
> Dan
>

> > (1) works but breaks "make htb"
> > (2) would work but I don't know which files to list
> > (3) I have not even a vague idea how to do this!
> >

> > As a separate but less pressing issue it would be nice to fix the make rules
> > for "make htb".   Right now it fails because there is no subdirectory docs/wxhelp.
> > But even if I create that subdirectory the *.html files produced are broken because
> > some files are placed in .../windows and others in .../wxhelp yet the href= links
> > assume all files are in the same place.  I'll add this to the tracker for patch 707
> >
> > thanks for any insight
> >
> > Ethan
> >

> >> So in short, doc2html works as intended on Windows (all sections), but as of
> >> now the doc2wxhtml variant is not in use.
> >>
> >> The Makefile code changed, but the original commit was (Changelog.3):
> >>
> >> 2011-03-07  Bastian Maerkisch  <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> * docs/Makefile.in: add new target 'htb' to create help file
> >> compatible with wxWidgets help viewer

Re: AW: automake help

Daniel J Sebald
On 05/23/2017 01:01 PM, Ethan A Merritt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 May, 2017 12:37:28 Daniel J Sebald wrote:
[snip]

>>> 3) Fix the automake rules that are leaving a *.o file in the windows subdirectory.
>>
>> The "windows" directory name adds to my confusion.  Is this a
>> Windows-only thing?  When I build (out of tree) on linux with
>>
>> $ automake --version
>> automake (GNU automake) 1.14.1
>>
>> I see docs/windows/doc2wxhtml-doc2html.o after make in the
>> build-directory tree, then that directory is empty after doing a "make
>> clean".
>
> Right. That is the exact issue that is causing problems for me.
> It's fine that "make clean" works, but this does not stop the *.o file from
> being included in the source distribution package from "make dist".

OK.

>> Oddly, when running "make dist" I'm running into this very old issue:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/bugs/655/
>> ! LaTeX Error: File `picins.sty' not found.
>
> picins.sty is a LaTeX style file.  Because some people are not
> happy with the [lack of] accompanying license statement, some distros
> no longer include it in their base TeX package.
> You can download it separately from CTAN just like any other TeX component.

I'm reading about this just now.  I'm going to add some references to
the bugs/655 thread for anyone else running into this issue.

Dan

Re: AW: automake help

Daniel J Sebald
On 05/23/2017 01:01 PM, Ethan A Merritt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 May, 2017 12:37:28 Daniel J Sebald wrote:
[snip]

>> Oddly, when running "make dist" I'm running into this very old issue:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/bugs/655/
>> ! LaTeX Error: File `picins.sty' not found.
>
> picins.sty is a LaTeX style file.  Because some people are not
> happy with the [lack of] accompanying license statement, some distros
> no longer include it in their base TeX package.
> You can download it separately from CTAN just like any other TeX component.
>
> Note that most users don't run into this since the *.pdf documentation
> is provided already built in the distribution package.  The picins file is
> only needed if you are re-creating the pdf file, i.e. when preparing
> a new distribution package.

After installing picins package and running "make dist", I notice that
the distribution archive file is left behind after a "make clean":

build1 # ls *.gz
ls: cannot access *.gz: No such file or directory
build1 # make dist
[snip]
build1 # ls *.gz
gnuplot-5.1.tar.gz
build1 # make clean
[snip]
build1 # ls *.gz
gnuplot-5.1.tar.gz

Should that archive file be removed as well?

Dan

Re: automake help

Hans-Bernhard Bröker-2
Am 23.05.2017 um 01:37 schrieb Daniel J Sebald:

> ChangeLog has some entries:
>
> ChangeLog: in turn is triggered by docs/doc2wxhtml requring src/version.c.
> ChangeLog: * docs/Makefile.am (doc2wxhtml_SOURCES): Remove use of version.c.
> ChangeLog: * docs/Makefile.am (noinst_PROGRAMS): Add doc2wxhtml.
> ChangeLog: (doc2wxhtml_SOURCES, doc2wxhtml_CPPFLAGS): Use automake to build
>
> This entry seems related:
>
> 2016-01-16  Hans-Bernhard Broeker  <[hidden email]>

While in the vicinity of the matter at hand, these are actually unrelated.

Re: automake help

Hans-Bernhard Bröker-2
Am 23.05.2017 um 20:57 schrieb Daniel J Sebald:

> After installing picins package and running "make dist", I notice that
> the distribution archive file is left behind after a "make clean":

[...]

> Should that archive file be removed as well?

In a word: no.  "make clean" is supposed to clean up what "make"
created, not what "make dist" did.