gnuplot 5.0 mouse problems

Pietro Corvisiero
I upgraded from gnuplot 4.6 to gnuplot 5.0 on Linux Ubuntu 14.04.
After upgrading, apart minor problems, I cannot handle mouse support.
My goal is to click (left button) on screen and print MOUSE_X values to a
file as may  times as I need. The procedure ends clicking right button: the
x11 window closes and the control comes back to the next script commands..
Just to summarize my problem I enclose a few lines script, working fine on
gluplot 4.6, but not on gnuplot 5.0.
Running gnuplot5, I see on the x11 window the mouse prompt (a cross) but
after the first click the procedure stops and nothing is written on file.
Can someone solve my problem? Many thanks!

set mouse
f(x)=x
set  print 'temp_ch'
set term x11
#bind all "Button1" "print MOUSE_X; replot"
bind all "Button1" "print MOUSE_X"
bind "Button1"
plot f(x)
pause mouse

Re: gnuplot 5.0 mouse problems

Ethan A Merritt-2
The "pause mouse" command tells it to wait for the next mouse click (any
button).
That means the next button1 click is used to terminate the pause command
rather
than to execute the "print MOUSE_X" command.  I think you want instead
"pause mouse button3".  Nevertheless, even if your first click was consumed
by
the pause rather than the print, all subsequent clicks should cause a print
to file.
And indeed they do when I test here.   So I guess I can't reproduce your
problem
except for the case of the first mouse click.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Pietro Corvisiero <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I upgraded from gnuplot 4.6 to gnuplot 5.0 on Linux Ubuntu 14.04.
> After upgrading, apart minor problems, I cannot handle mouse support.
> My goal is to click (left button) on screen and print MOUSE_X values to a
> file as may  times as I need. The procedure ends clicking right button: the
> x11 window closes and the control comes back to the next script commands..
> Just to summarize my problem I enclose a few lines script, working fine on
> gluplot 4.6, but not on gnuplot 5.0.
> Running gnuplot5, I see on the x11 window the mouse prompt (a cross) but
> after the first click the procedure stops and nothing is written on file.
> Can someone solve my problem? Many thanks!
>
> set mouse
> f(x)=x
> set  print 'temp_ch'
> set term x11
> #bind all "Button1" "print MOUSE_X; replot"
> bind all "Button1" "print MOUSE_X"
> bind "Button1"
> plot f(x)
> pause mouse
> ------------------
> What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
> traffic
> patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
> are
> planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: gnuplot 5.0 mouse problems

Ethan A Merritt-2
Oh wait a minute. I was testing interactively.  Yeah, if you put those
commands in
a script and execute from the command line as "gnuplot script.gp" then it
will exit
at the end of the "pause mouse", so nothing written to file.   Change
"pause mouse"
to "pause mouse button3" or "pause mouse close" and you should be fine.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Ethan Merritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "pause mouse" command tells it to wait for the next mouse click (any
> button).
> That means the next button1 click is used to terminate the pause command
> rather
> than to execute the "print MOUSE_X" command.  I think you want instead
> "pause mouse button3".  Nevertheless, even if your first click was
> consumed by
> the pause rather than the print, all subsequent clicks should cause a
> print to file.
> And indeed they do when I test here.   So I guess I can't reproduce your
> problem
> except for the case of the first mouse click.
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Pietro Corvisiero <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I upgraded from gnuplot 4.6 to gnuplot 5.0 on Linux Ubuntu 14.04.
>> After upgrading, apart minor problems, I cannot handle mouse support.
>> My goal is to click (left button) on screen and print MOUSE_X values to a
>> file as may  times as I need. The procedure ends clicking right button:
>> the
>> x11 window closes and the control comes back to the next script commands..
>> Just to summarize my problem I enclose a few lines script, working fine on
>> gluplot 4.6, but not on gnuplot 5.0.
>> Running gnuplot5, I see on the x11 window the mouse prompt (a cross) but
>> after the first click the procedure stops and nothing is written on file.
>> Can someone solve my problem? Many thanks!
>>
>> set mouse
>> f(x)=x
>> set  print 'temp_ch'
>> set term x11
>> #bind all "Button1" "print MOUSE_X; replot"
>> bind all "Button1" "print MOUSE_X"
>> bind "Button1"
>> plot f(x)
>> pause mouse
>> ------------------
>> What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>> traffic
>> patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
>> are
>> consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>> J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
>> planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: gnuplot 5.0 mouse problems

Pietro Corvisiero
very strange..

I even tried this stupid case:

set mouse
f(x)=x
#set  print 'temp_ch'
a=3333
set term x11
bind all "Button1" "print a"
bind "Button1"
plot f(x)
pause mouse

I also tried using: pause mouse "Button3" ...
Nothing to do: after the first click the x11 window closes and the value
"3333" is not printed on screen…
I suspect that something related to the mouse handling is missing in my
(default) gnuplot installation..
Can somebody give me detailed instructions about the steps to do to
reinstall gnuplot 5.04?
And also a correct version of this simple script? Why my output
is different from Ethan's one?
Many thanks!!

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Ethan Merritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "pause mouse" command tells it to wait for the next mouse click (any
> button).
> That means the next button1 click is used to terminate the pause command
> rather
> than to execute the "print MOUSE_X" command.  I think you want instead
> "pause mouse button3".  Nevertheless, even if your first click was
> consumed by
> the pause rather than the print, all subsequent clicks should cause a
> print to file.
> And indeed they do when I test here.   So I guess I can't reproduce your
> problem
> except for the case of the first mouse click.
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Pietro Corvisiero <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I upgraded from gnuplot 4.6 to gnuplot 5.0 on Linux Ubuntu 14.04.
>> After upgrading, apart minor problems, I cannot handle mouse support.
>> My goal is to click (left button) on screen and print MOUSE_X values to a
>> file as may  times as I need. The procedure ends clicking right button:
>> the
>> x11 window closes and the control comes back to the next script commands..
>> Just to summarize my problem I enclose a few lines script, working fine on
>> gluplot 4.6, but not on gnuplot 5.0.
>> Running gnuplot5, I see on the x11 window the mouse prompt (a cross) but
>> after the first click the procedure stops and nothing is written on file.
>> Can someone solve my problem? Many thanks!
>>
>> set mouse
>> f(x)=x
>> set  print 'temp_ch'
>> set term x11
>> #bind all "Button1" "print MOUSE_X; replot"
>> bind all "Button1" "print MOUSE_X"
>> bind "Button1"
>> plot f(x)
>> pause mouse
>> ------------------
>> What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>> traffic
>> patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
>> are
>> consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>> J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
>> planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: gnuplot 5.0 mouse problems

Pietro Corvisiero
great! It works!