gnuplot 5.0 not recognizing aqua term on macOS

gnuplot 5.0 not recognizing aqua term on macOS

Brian Weitzner
Hello,

I recently upgraded my machine to macOS Sierra, and reinstalled gnuplot and aqua term via macports. Upon launching gnuplot, I get the following message:

Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'aqua'

G N U P L O T
Version 5.0 patchlevel 4    last modified 2016-07-21

Copyright (C) 1986-1993, 1998, 2004, 2007-2016
Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

gnuplot home:     http://www.gnuplot.info
faq, bugs, etc:   type "help FAQ"
immediate help:   type "help"  (plot window: hit 'h')

Terminal type set to ‘unknown'

And then, of course, plotting doesn’t work. (WARNING: Plotting with an 'unknown' terminal. No output will be generated. Please select a terminal with 'set terminal’.) I’m a bit stumped as to how to proceed from here, and this is kind of a showstopper for me. Any ideas?

--
Brian D. Weitzner
WRF Innovation Postdoctoral Fellow

Re: gnuplot 5.0 not recognizing aqua term on macOS

Daniel J Sebald
On 10/10/2016 08:50 PM, Brian Weitzner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded my machine to macOS Sierra, and reinstalled gnuplot
> and aqua term via macports. Upon launching gnuplot, I get the following
> message:

You said "installed", so I'm guessing you didn't run a build.  If you
ran a build, one could look at the config.log file to see why the
terminal was not compiled (and then for example make sure the necessary
libraries/utilities are present on your new system).  Otherwise, you'll
have to contact the person who build the executable for some help.

Does "help term" list the aqua terminal?  (I'm guessing not, but doesn't
hurt to check.)

Dan

> Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'aqua'
>
> G N U P L O T
> Version 5.0 patchlevel 4    last modified 2016-07-21
>
> Copyright (C) 1986-1993, 1998, 2004, 2007-2016
> Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others
>
> gnuplot home: http://www.gnuplot.info
> faq, bugs, etc:   type "help FAQ"
> immediate help:   type "help"  (plot window: hit 'h')
>
> Terminal type set to ‘unknown'
>
> And then, of course, plotting doesn’t work. (WARNING: Plotting with an
> 'unknown' terminal. No output will be generated. Please select a
> terminal with 'set terminal’.) I’m a bit stumped as to how to proceed
> from here, and this is kind of a showstopper for me. Any ideas?
>
> --
> Brian D. Weitzner
> WRF Innovation Postdoctoral Fellow
> Institute for Protein Design
> University of Washington
> Seattle, Washington 98185
> http://www.ipd.uw.edu

Dan Sebald
email: daniel(DOT)sebald(AT)ieee(DOT)org

Re: gnuplot 5.0 not recognizing aqua term on macOS

Mojca Miklavec
On 11 October 2016 at 04:00, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> On 10/10/2016 08:50 PM, Brian Weitzner wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently upgraded my machine to macOS Sierra, and reinstalled gnuplot
>> and aqua term via macports. Upon launching gnuplot, I get the following
>> message:
>
> You said "installed", so I'm guessing you didn't run a build.

Due to a somewhat weird licence of gnuplot there are no binaries
available, so gnuplot must have been built from source on his machine.

> If you
> ran a build, one could look at the config.log file to see why the
> terminal was not compiled (and then for example make sure the necessary
> libraries/utilities are present on your new system).

Indeed, please provide config.log from the gnuplot's build directory.

(I'm unable to reproduce the problem.)

Mojca