[gnuplot-info] Unable to output as pdf format on Mac

[gnuplot-info] Unable to output as pdf format on Mac

Shuai Wang
Hello list,

I am trying to use gnuplot to produce pdf figures on my mac. Here is the
configurations:

gnuplot: version 5.0
os:      OS X EI Capitan Version 10.11.6I installed the gnuplot with

brew install gnuplot --with-x11

But when I tried to produce figures with

set term pdf

I will receive the errors about the undefined pdf format.

Actually when I try to print out all the supported format of gnuplot:

$ gnuplot
> set term

I cannot find the pdf format in the list of supported formats.

Here is my question, how can I use set term pdf with gnuplot on the mac? It
is always workable on my Linux machines...

Am I clear enough? Thank you a lot for the help!

Sincerely,

Shuai

Re: [gnuplot-info] Unable to output as pdf format on Mac

Derek Lamb

> On Aug 14, 2016, at 10:29 PM, Shuai Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello list,
>
> I am trying to use gnuplot to produce pdf figures on my mac. Here is the
> configurations:
>
> gnuplot: version 5.0
> os:      OS X EI Capitan Version 10.11.6I installed the gnuplot with
>
> brew install gnuplot --with-x11
>
> But when I tried to produce figures with
>
> set term pdf
>
> I will receive the errors about the undefined pdf format.
>
> Actually when I try to print out all the supported format of gnuplot:
>
> $ gnuplot
>> set term
>
> I cannot find the pdf format in the list of supported formats.
>
> Here is my question, how can I use set term pdf with gnuplot on the mac? It
> is always workable on my Linux machines...

Well, sure, Gnuplot can only use terminals that have been installed. Not all terminals are installed by default, as you have found. You may have the pdfcairo driver installed, which will get you pdf output. Otherwise you should look at Homebrew's other installation options for Gnuplot to get one of the pdf terminals installed.

Derek

Re: [gnuplot-info] Unable to output as pdf format on Mac

tmacchant
>>  On Aug 14, 2016, at 10:29 PM, Shuai Wang <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>>  Hello list,
>>
>>  I am trying to use gnuplot to produce pdf figures on my mac. Here is the
>>  configurations:
>>
>>  gnuplot: version 5.0
>>  os:      OS X EI Capitan Version 10.11.6I installed the gnuplot with
>>
>>  brew install gnuplot --with-x11
>>
>>  But when I tried to produce figures with
>>
>>  set term pdf
>>
>>  I will receive the errors about the undefined pdf format.
>>
>>  Actually when I try to print out all the supported format of gnuplot:
>>
>>  $ gnuplot
>>>  set term
>>
>>  I cannot find the pdf format in the list of supported formats.
>>
>>  Here is my question, how can I use set term pdf with gnuplot on the mac? It
>>  is always workable on my Linux machines...
>
> Well, sure, Gnuplot can only use terminals that have been installed. Not all
> terminals are installed by default, as you have found. You may have the pdfcairo
> driver installed, which will get you pdf output. Otherwise you should look at
> Homebrew's other installation options for Gnuplot to get one of the pdf
> terminals installed.
>
> Derek

I have never use Mac.

But I found on the gnuplot top page.

 Version 5.0 Release
  contributed executables for OSX

Cannot you use this?

Tatsuro

Re: [gnuplot-info] Unable to output as pdf format on Mac

Dave Horsfall
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> I have never use Mac.

I do, and it "just works" for me.  Mind you, I installed from MacPorts
(which fetches any dependencies) rather than go through the trouble of
compiling it etc.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."