how to plot a parametric function "with circles"

how to plot a parametric function "with circles"

Ether Jones
Hello.

I want to plot the parametric function
x(t) = t+log(t+1)
y(t) = sqrt(t)+sin(t)

from t=0 to t=2

in steps of dt = 0.2

using circles of radius 0.05 (instead of points)

I searched for about 2 hours but could not find how to do this directly
in gnuplot.  I could create a data file and then plot that, but I want to
plot the functions directly.

Is there a way to do that in gnuplot?

Thank you.

Re: how to plot a parametric function "with circles"

Ethan A Merritt-2
On Monday, 16 January 2017 05:13:57 PM Ether Jones wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I want to plot the parametric function
> x(t) = t+log(t+1)
> y(t) = sqrt(t)+sin(t)
>
> from t=0 to t=2
>
> in steps of dt = 0.2
>
> using circles of radius 0.05 (instead of points)

set samples 21
plot sample [t=0:2] '+' using (t+log(t+1)) : (sqrt(t)+sin(t)) : (0.05) with circles

There is currently no way to directly specify a step size for sampling, but since you
can control the endpoints and the number of samples it is still possible.

> I searched for about 2 hours but could not find how to do this directly
> in gnuplot.  I could create a data file and then plot that, but I want to
> plot the functions directly.
>
> Is there a way to do that in gnuplot?

Several, but I think the one I show above is the easiest.

On Monday, 16 January 2017 02:56:41 PM Ethan A Merritt wrote:

> On Monday, 16 January 2017 05:13:57 PM Ether Jones wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I want to plot the parametric function
> > x(t) = t+log(t+1)
> > y(t) = sqrt(t)+sin(t)
> >
> > from t=0 to t=2
> >
> > in steps of dt = 0.2
> >
> > using circles of radius 0.05 (instead of points)
>
> set samples 21

    oops.  11, not 21