Quantcast

howto do a surface plot with contour lines and dots for the original data points

howto do a surface plot with contour lines and dots for the original data points

Lorenz
Hello all,

I'm trying to create a 3D surface plot with contour lines and overlay
it with dots denoting the original data points

what I've got so far is the following:

>set contour both
>set cntrparam levels incremental 0,10,100
>splot "data.text" u 1:2:3 w pm3d, "" u 1:2:3 w p pt 7

That's almost what I want, besides the that dots on the contour lines
(both on the contour lines themself and on there projection).

If I reduce the splot command to:

>set contour both
>set cntrparam levels incremental 0,10,100
>splot "data.text" u 1:2:3 w pm3d

I get the plot without any points. Adding the "w p" part adds the
lines both to the data points, as to the contourlines.

Using only the second part:

>set contour both
>set cntrparam levels incremental 0,10,100
>splot "data.text" u 1:2:3 w p pt 7

results in only (but all) the dots I get from the combined command.

So it looks like I need to "unset contour" between the two parts of
the splot command.
Is this possible? Or do I need a different approach altogether?
--

Lorenz

Re: howto do a surface plot with contour lines and dots for the original data points

Ethan A Merritt-2
splot "data.text" u 1:2:3 w pm3d, "" u 1:2:3 w p pt 7 nocontour

Ethan Merritt wrote:
>splot "data.text" u 1:2:3 w pm3d, "" u 1:2:3 w p pt 7 nocontour

ah well, I was afraid it would be that easy 8-)

On the other hand, it's a bit confusing that there is a way to locally
disable global settings but non to enable them locally.
--

Lorenz