label offset error on 4.1

KITA Toshihiro
Hello,

# I am now using heavily gnuplot epslatex terminal for my
# dissertation. Thank you very much indeed.

It seems label offset setting does not work for some offset value on gnuplot
4.1 that I built today from CVS source.
The problem happens when I set a label string and the offset at the same time.

gnuplot> set xla "x"
gnuplot> set xla -10, -2

is OK, but, I get

gnuplot> set xla "x" -10, -2
                        ^
         invalid expression

It's OK when the offset for x-direction is positive like
gnuplot> set xla "x" 10, -2

# I looked a bit into axis.c, parse.c and util.c, but I can't locate
# where the problem is.
--
  KITA Toshihiro
  http://t-kita.net/    PGP-Key: http://t-kita.net/pubkey.asc

Re: label offset error on 4.1

Hans-Bernhard Bröker
KITA Toshihiro wrote:

> The problem happens when I set a label string and the offset at the same time.
>
> gnuplot> set xla "x"
> gnuplot> set xla -10, -2
>
> is OK, but, I get
>
> gnuplot> set xla "x" -10, -2
>                         ^
>          invalid expression

Please compare this command to the actual syntax description found under
"help xlabel": you're missing the 'offset' keyword.

Re: label offset error on 4.1

KITA Toshihiro
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: label offset error on 4.1
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:55:42 +0200

> KITA Toshihiro wrote:
>
> > The problem happens when I set a label string and the offset at the same time.
> >
> > gnuplot> set xla "x"
> > gnuplot> set xla -10, -2
> >
> > is OK, but, I get
> >
> > gnuplot> set xla "x" -10, -2
> >                         ^
> >          invalid expression
>
> Please compare this command to the actual syntax description found under
> "help xlabel": you're missing the 'offset' keyword.

Oops, that was literally 'offset'!
Thanks a lot for your quick reply to my misunderstanding.
--
  KITA Toshihiro

Re: label offset error on 4.1

KITA Toshihiro
> From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: label offset error on 4.1
> Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:55:42 +0200
>
> > KITA Toshihiro wrote:
> >
> > > The problem happens when I set a label string and the offset at the same time.
> > >
> > > gnuplot> set xla "x"
> > > gnuplot> set xla -10, -2
> > >
> > > is OK, but, I get
> > >
> > > gnuplot> set xla "x" -10, -2
> > >                         ^
> > >          invalid expression
> >
> > Please compare this command to the actual syntax description found under
> > "help xlabel": you're missing the 'offset' keyword.
>
> Oops, that was literally 'offset'!
> Thanks a lot for your quick reply to my misunderstanding.

Just a trivial comment :
If the word 'offset' is always necessary before the offset values,
I guess the help message for 'help set xlabel'

 `character` coordinate system is used.  For example, "`set xlabel -1,0`"
 will change only the x offset of the title, moving the label roughly one
 character width to the left.  The size of a character depends on both the

should be

 `character` coordinate system is used.  For example, "`set xlabel offset -1,0`"