linetype palette

Dr. Johannes Zellner
Hello,

something bad happened with "linetype palette", see the attached files.
The good one was generated with gnuplot 4.0 and something like
"plot 'tmp.dat' u 1:2:3 w p lt pal". The bad one was generated by the
latest gnuplot from cvs with the same command. Apparently "linetype
palette" doesn't work any more :-(

--
Johannes

good.png (14K) Download Attachment
bad.png (13K) Download Attachment

Re: linetype palette

Ethan Merritt
On Tuesday 14 June 2005 08:53 am, Johannes Zellner wrote:
> something bad happened with "linetype palette", see the attached files.
> The good one was generated with gnuplot 4.0 and something like
> "plot 'tmp.dat' u 1:2:3 w p lt pal". The bad one was generated by the
> latest gnuplot from cvs with the same command.

Works fine here.  Attached is the output from
splot 'silver.dat' u 1:2:3 w p lt pal pt 7 ps 5

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center

palette.png (11K) Download Attachment

Re: linetype palette

Aapo Lankinen
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 17:53 +0200, Johannes Zellner wrote:
> something bad happened with "linetype palette", see the attached files.
> The good one was generated with gnuplot 4.0 and something like
> "plot 'tmp.dat' u 1:2:3 w p lt pal". The bad one was generated by the
> latest gnuplot from cvs with the same command. Apparently "linetype
> palette" doesn't work any more :-(

Hmm, I cannot reproduce the problem, "linetype palette" works just fine.
BTW, what do you mean by 'plot' command?  You should use 'splot', at
least my Gnuplot says

---- clip ----
gnuplot> plot 'tmp.dat' u 1:2:3 w p lt pal
         2D plots cannot color by Z value; please use splot instead
---- clap ----

Why doesn't your Gnuplot say the same?  What kind of output does
"splot sin(0.01*x*y) w p lt pal" give to you?

                                                Aapo

--
Aapo Lankinen <[hidden email]>

Re: linetype palette

Dr. Johannes Zellner
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:22:16PM +0300, Aapo Lankinen wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 17:53 +0200, Johannes Zellner wrote:
> > something bad happened with "linetype palette", see the attached files.
> > The good one was generated with gnuplot 4.0 and something like
> > "plot 'tmp.dat' u 1:2:3 w p lt pal". The bad one was generated by the
> > latest gnuplot from cvs with the same command. Apparently "linetype
> > palette" doesn't work any more :-(
>
> Hmm, I cannot reproduce the problem, "linetype palette" works just fine.
> BTW, what do you mean by 'plot' command?  You should use 'splot', at
> least my Gnuplot says
>
> ---- clip ----
> gnuplot> plot 'tmp.dat' u 1:2:3 w p lt pal
>          2D plots cannot color by Z value; please use splot instead
> ---- clap ----
>
> Why doesn't your Gnuplot say the same?  What kind of output does
> "splot sin(0.01*x*y) w p lt pal" give to you?

well, actually I /meant/ splot.
The problem was a small bug in my depth patch, see the patches section
at sourceforge for the actual patch.

Btw.: how should I proceed to get the depth patch into gnuplot?

--
Johannes

Re: linetype palette

Aapo Lankinen
On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 11:32 +0200, Johannes Zellner wrote:
> The problem was a small bug in my depth patch, see the patches section
> at sourceforge for the actual patch.

Checked your patch.  I'd say it is a cool addition that makes the
scansforward, scansbackward and scansautomatic options unnecessary.  I
think the functionality it provides is very important; especially
because it seems to be impossible to draw e.g. the two toruses properly
with the current CVS version.  And I think the patch is also reasonably
fast, I didn't have any problems with the interactive mouse mode either.
Thanks for the patch; I added it to my own Gnuplot.  :-)

Few thing I noticed; even though your coding is quite "clean", I'd
personally like some more comments in your code.  Especially the various
"pm3d_depth_queue" functions would require some commentation for easier
understanding.  Furthermore, I didn't understand following oddity, at
least for portability I suppose things like

quadrangles = (quadrangle*)0;  should be  quadrangles = NULL;

or am I missing something?

> Btw.: how should I proceed to get the depth patch into gnuplot?

Unfortunately I don't know.  I suppose you must bug one of the devs to
add the patch into the CVS; the "patch" section in Sourceforge seems not
to work very well.

Best Regards,
Aapo Lankinen

PS. I know it's not your fault, but the newest version of your patch
didn't go cleanly against the current CVS.  There was a problem with
indentation changes or something like that in the CVS...

--
Aapo Lankinen <[hidden email]>

Re: linetype palette

Ethan Merritt
On Thursday 16 June 2005 03:42 am, Aapo Lankinen wrote:

> the "patch" section in Sourceforge seems not  to work very well.

How so?

I see 16 patchsets that have been applied or incorporated into
other work just since 1 Jan 2005. That's about 2 a month, and
doesn't include things incorporated via direct Email to the
developers or to the mailing list. There are another dozen or so
patchsets on SourceForge that are still in active development
and will probably go into cvs over the next few months.

If you feel this rate of progress is too slow, you might consider
contributing some of your own time towards the process.

Or perhaps you are referring to the fact that there are some very
old patchsets still marked "Open".  At the time of the version 4
release, about a year ago, there was a general discussion of which
patches to include.  The ones you see on SourceForge dated prior
to that point were all discussed and rejected for inclusion.
Some contain good ideas, though, so it seems useful to leave them
as inspiration for other people to pick up the good parts and
develop them further.  If there is something in particular that
you would like to see included, by all means feel free to advocate
for it, submit an improved patch, or upload a better one.

--
Ethan A Merritt       [hidden email]
Biomolecular Structure Center

Re: linetype palette

Aapo Lankinen
On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 10:44 -0700, Ethan Merritt wrote:
> Or perhaps you are referring to the fact that there are some very
> old patchsets still marked "Open".  At the time of the version 4
> release, about a year ago, there was a general discussion of which
> patches to include.  The ones you see on SourceForge dated prior
> to that point were all discussed and rejected for inclusion.

Yes, that was what I meant.  I'm sorry I judged the process little
hastily, but one certainly can get an impression that old patches are
just abandoned there.
I didn't realise that they are left there for a purpose.  However, I'd
still say some cleaning could take place there.

BTW, don't take my criticism too heavily.  I think you are doing a great
job; especially taking into account that Gnuplot is free.  :-)

> you would like to see included, by all means feel free to advocate

How do you do that?  Or do you mean by discussing the patches on this
list?

                                                Aapo

--
Aapo Lankinen <[hidden email]>

Re: linetype palette

Petr Mikulik
> > release, about a year ago, there was a general discussion of which
> > patches to include.  The ones you see on SourceForge dated prior
> > to that point were all discussed and rejected for inclusion.
>
> Yes, that was what I meant.  I'm sorry I judged the process little
> hastily, but one certainly can get an impression that old patches are
> just abandoned there.

There is a discussion for each patch. You may have read that some patches
have final questions like "is somebody using this patch"?

> I didn't realise that they are left there for a purpose.  However, I'd
> still say some cleaning could take place there.

Then, contribute your impression to the discussion for each particular
patch.

> > you would like to see included, by all means feel free to advocate
> How do you do that?  Or do you mean by discussing the patches on this
> list?

If you strongly want to support applying or closing a particular patch,
write about it here, and it will get an immediate attention.

---
PM

Re: linetype palette

Petr Mikulik
> Btw.: how should I proceed to get the depth patch into gnuplot?

I've put some comments into cvs. After having a nice demo of how it works,
so that we can test it, it will go to cvs after...

---
PM

Re: linetype palette

Petr Mikulik
> that makes the scansforward, scansbackward and scansautomatic options
> unnecessary.

No. These are important to draw 'pm3d map' from overlapping 3D data (e.g. in
repetitive overlapping experimental mapping of some property over a sample
surface).

---
PM