Quantcast

minus sign implemetation on sjis

tmacchant
set minussign is a very nice new feature!
This is what I want to use for a long time!

In sjis encoding, minussign code is 0x817c.
This is a Japanese Kanji character with wide width.

>From Ethan suggestion, I tried this in windows, qt, and wxt.
Looking are not good compared to those on utf8.

In addition using this option in sjis encoding, + character represent half width while

- character represent full width.

The looking is not good.

In my opinion, it is better that this feature is not implemented in sjis encoding.
Utf8 is now widely used even on windows in Japanese.

Therefore Japanese people who want to use this feature will use utf8 encoding

if this feature will dropped on sjis encoding.

Tatsuro

Re: minus sign implemetation on sjis

sfeam
On Friday, 12 August 2016 09:59:04 AM Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> set minussign is a very nice new feature!
> This is what I want to use for a long time!
>

> In sjis encoding, minussign code is 0x817c.
> This is a Japanese Kanji character with wide width.
>
> >From Ethan suggestion, I tried this in windows, qt, and wxt.
> Looking are not good compared to those on utf8.
>
> In my opinion, it is better that this feature is not implemented in sjis encoding.
> Utf8 is now widely used even on windows in Japanese.
>
> Therefore Japanese people who want to use this feature will use utf8 encoding
> if this feature will dropped on sjis encoding.

OK. I will disable the character mapping for SJIS and add a comment explaining
that the half-width/full-width nature of the Japanese character set makes the
special minus sign look bad.

> In addition using this option in sjis encoding, + character represent half width while
> - character represent full width.

The "set minus" command only affects the unary minus,
that is, the character in front of a negative number.
It does not affect the arithmetic operation symbol for subtraction.

        thanks for testing,

                Ethan

> Tatsuro

Re: minus sign implemetation on sjis

tmacchant
> From: sfeam

> To: gnuplot-beta; Tatsuro MATSUOKA
> Date: 2016/8/12, Fri 13:30
> Subject: Re: minus sign implemetation on sjis
>
> On Friday, 12 August 2016 09:59:04 AM Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>>
>>  set minussign is a very nice new feature!
>>  This is what I want to use for a long time!
>>

>>  In sjis encoding, minussign code is 0x817c.
>>  This is a Japanese Kanji character with wide width.
>>
>>  >From Ethan suggestion, I tried this in windows, qt, and wxt.
>>  Looking are not good compared to those on utf8.
>>
>>  In my opinion, it is better that this feature is not implemented in sjis
> encoding.
>>  Utf8 is now widely used even on windows in Japanese.
>>
>>  Therefore Japanese people who want to use this feature will use utf8
> encoding
>>  if this feature will dropped on sjis encoding.
>
> OK. I will disable the character mapping for SJIS and add a comment explaining
> that the half-width/full-width nature of the Japanese character set makes the
> special minus sign look bad.
>
>>  In addition using this option in sjis encoding, + character represent half
> width while
>>  - character represent full width.
>
> The "set minus" command only affects the unary minus,
> that is, the character in front of a negative number.
> It does not affect the arithmetic operation symbol for subtraction.
>
>     thanks for testing,
>
>         Ethan
>

>>  Tatsuro

I have confirmed that cvs source tree has been revised and confirmed that
"set minussign" does not affect gnuplot behavior if the encoding is SJIS.

Thanks a lot.

Tatsuro