Quantcast

./prepare asks for ./config.guess and config.sub

./prepare asks for ./config.guess and config.sub

Gael Varoquaux
  I am being very stupid but the prepare script from the CVS asks from
two file it cannot find :

omicron ~/gnuplot $ ./prepare
make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
automake: configure.in: required file `../config.guess' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `../config.sub' not found

  On my system I found
/usr/share/automake/config.guess
/usr/share/automake/config.sub

   I copied them in the gnuplot directory and then the prepare script
worked. Is this normal ?

   I also find it strange that, if you don't give a --prefix=foobar, you
need root permission to make (and not make install). "make" should never
need root permission.

--
  Gaël

Re: ./prepare asks for ./config.guess and config.sub

Daniel J Sebald
Gaël Varoquaux wrote:

>   I am being very stupid but the prepare script from the CVS asks from
> two file it cannot find :
>
> omicron ~/gnuplot $ ./prepare
> make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> automake: configure.in: required file `../config.guess' not found
> automake: configure.in: required file `../config.sub' not found

Not normal.  Try executing the script by changing to the directory rather that
indirectly using "~/gnuplot".  Perhaps you've revealed a problem.  Could be a
different problem.

Dan

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:22:32PM -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> Gaël Varoquaux wrote:
> >omicron ~/gnuplot $ ./prepare
> >make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> >make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> >make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> >make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> >make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.
> >automake: configure.in: required file `../config.guess' not found
> >automake: configure.in: required file `../config.sub' not found

> Not normal.  Try executing the script by changing to the directory rather
> that indirectly using "~/gnuplot".

    Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my last message :
"omicron ~/gnuplot $" is my prompt, which I did not remove from my post.
I am indeed executing the scripts from the directory.

--
  Gaël

Re: ./prepare asks for ./config.guess and config.sub

Hans-Bernhard Bröker
Gaël Varoquaux wrote:
>   I am being very stupid but the prepare script from the CVS asks from
> two file it cannot find :
>
> automake: configure.in: required file `../config.guess' not found
> automake: configure.in: required file `../config.sub' not found

That's almost guaranteed to be a case of your automake or autoconf
version being too old to be usable with gnuplot.

>    I also find it strange that, if you don't give a --prefix=foobar, you
> need root permission to make (and not make install). "make" should never
> need root permission.

Until you've updated to current auto-tools, it's moot to speculate about
this.  If it still happens after that step, please provide more
information: which step did fail, and how?

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:58:56AM +0800, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
> That's almost guaranteed to be a case of your automake or autoconf
> version being too old to be usable with gnuplot.

    Right, good guess ! Looks like the debian package changed its name to
automake1.9 rather than automake (I ran version 1.4). They claim they do
not want to superseed the old versions as " Automake 1.9 fails to work in
a number of situations that Automake 1.4, 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 did". Its a
bit of a strange policy.

   Thank you for your help, I have updated my automake and the ./prepare
script does indeed work, and make does not any longer need root
permissions.

--
  Gaël

Re: ./prepare asks for ./config.guess and config.sub

Ethan Merritt
On Wednesday 08 June 2005 04:33 am, Gaël Varoquaux wrote:
>   I am being very stupid but the prepare script from the CVS asks from
> two file it cannot find :
>
> automake: configure.in: required file `../config.guess' not found
> automake: configure.in: required file `../config.sub' not found

This is a problem with certain versions of automake/autoconf.
I never figured out exactly which versions.  But the work-around
is
        touch config.guess
        touch config.sub

I.e., it doesn't matter what's in the files, just that they exist.
I reported this as a configuration bug quite a while back.

>    I also find it strange that, if you don't give a --prefix=foobar, you
> need root permission to make (and not make install). "make" should never
> need root permission.

Yes, I've been griping about this for ages as well.
The lisp subsystem is totally broken for non-root builds.
I *hope* I've fixed this at least in the case that you specify
         ./configure --without-lisp-files
But I keep on finding more annoying lisp intrusions.

Note to everyone:
Is there any strong reason to keep --with-lisp-files as the default?
To me it is just a continual annoyance, because I keep
forgetting to disable it before building on a new system.

--
Ethan A Merritt       [hidden email]
Biomolecular Structure Center