"bins filter" and "set fit nolog option"

"bins filter" and "set fit nolog option"

Philipp K. Janert

In the NEWS file, I saw a remark about a new feature:

        "data filter "bins" sorts input into equal width bins on x"

but I couldn't find any mention of it in the regular
documentation. It sounds quite interesting and useful -
has this been documented somewhere?

Also, I seem to remember a "set fit nolog" option, but
currently don't seem to find a reference to it anymore.
Any hints?

Best,

                Ph.

Re: "bins filter" and "set fit nolog option"

sfeam
On Monday, 17 August 2015 05:01:15 PM Philipp K. Janert wrote:

> In the NEWS file, I saw a remark about a new feature:
>
> "data filter "bins" sorts input into equal width bins on x"
>
> but I couldn't find any mention of it in the regular
> documentation. It sounds quite interesting and useful -
> has this been documented somewhere?

Perhaps you have not updated/installed the documentation
matching the current version?

gnuplot> help bins

 This option is EXPERIMENTAL (implementation details may change).
 Syntax:
      plot 'DATA' using <XCOL> {:<YCOL>} bins{=<NBINS>}
           {binrange [<LOW>:<HIGH>]}
 The `bins` option to a `plot` command first sorts the original data into
 equal width bins on x and then plots a single value per bin.  The default
 number of bins is controlled by `set samples`, but this can be changed by
 giving an explicit number of bins in the command.

 If no binrange is given, the range is taken from the current x axis range.
 Any data points outside this range will be ignored.

 If only a single column is given in the using clause then each data point
 contributes a count of 1 to the accumulation of total counts in the bin for
 that x coordinate value.  If a second column is given then the value in that
 column is added to the accumulation for the bin.  Thus the following two plot
 commnad are equivalent:
      plot 'DATA" using N bins=20
      set samples 20
      plot 'DATA' using (column(N)):(1)

 For related plotting styles see `smooth frequency` and `smooth kdensity`.

> Also, I seem to remember a "set fit nolog" option, but
> currently don't seem to find a reference to it anymore.
> Any hints?

gnuplot> help set fit
 The `set fit` command controls the options for the `fit` command.

 Syntax:
       set fit {nolog | logfile {"<filename>"|default}}
               {{no}quiet|results|brief|verbose}
               {{no}errorvariables}
               {{no}covariancevariables}
               {{no}errorscaling}
               {{no}prescale}
               {maxiter <value>|default}
               {limit <epsilon>|default}
               {limit_abs <epsilon_abs>}
               {start-lambda <value>|default}
               {lambda-factor <value>|default}
               {script {"<command>"|default}}
               {v4 | v5}
       unset fit
       show fit

Re: "bins filter" and "set fit nolog option"

Philipp K. Janert
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:02:22 -0700
sfeam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday, 17 August 2015 05:01:15 PM Philipp K. Janert wrote:
> >
> > In the NEWS file, I saw a remark about a new feature:
> >
> > "data filter "bins" sorts input into equal width bins on x"
> >
> > but I couldn't find any mention of it in the regular
> > documentation. It sounds quite interesting and useful -
> > has this been documented somewhere?
>
> Perhaps you have not updated/installed the documentation
> matching the current version?

Thanks, very helpful.

I couldn't find either of them in the CVS-PDF
at http://gnuplot.info/gnuplot_cvs.pdf

Best,

                Ph.

> gnuplot> help bins
>
>  This option is EXPERIMENTAL (implementation details may change).
>  Syntax:
>       plot 'DATA' using <XCOL> {:<YCOL>} bins{=<NBINS>}
>            {binrange [<LOW>:<HIGH>]}
>  The `bins` option to a `plot` command first sorts the original data
> into equal width bins on x and then plots a single value per bin.
> The default number of bins is controlled by `set samples`, but this
> can be changed by giving an explicit number of bins in the command.
>
>  If no binrange is given, the range is taken from the current x axis
> range. Any data points outside this range will be ignored.
>
>  If only a single column is given in the using clause then each data
> point contributes a count of 1 to the accumulation of total counts in
> the bin for that x coordinate value.  If a second column is given
> then the value in that column is added to the accumulation for the
> bin.  Thus the following two plot commnad are equivalent:
>       plot 'DATA" using N bins=20
>       set samples 20
>       plot 'DATA' using (column(N)):(1)
>
>  For related plotting styles see `smooth frequency` and `smooth
> kdensity`.
>
> > Also, I seem to remember a "set fit nolog" option, but
> > currently don't seem to find a reference to it anymore.
> > Any hints?
>
> gnuplot> help set fit
>  The `set fit` command controls the options for the `fit` command.
>
>  Syntax:
>        set fit {nolog | logfile {"<filename>"|default}}
>                {{no}quiet|results|brief|verbose}
>                {{no}errorvariables}
>                {{no}covariancevariables}
>                {{no}errorscaling}
>                {{no}prescale}
>                {maxiter <value>|default}
>                {limit <epsilon>|default}
>                {limit_abs <epsilon_abs>}
>                {start-lambda <value>|default}
>                {lambda-factor <value>|default}
>                {script {"<command>"|default}}
>                {v4 | v5}
>        unset fit
>        show fit

Re: "bins filter" and "set fit nolog option"

tmacchant
>>  On Monday, 17 August 2015 05:01:15 PM Philipp K. Janert wrote:
>>  >
>>  > In the NEWS file, I saw a remark about a new feature:
>>  >
>>  >     "data filter "bins" sorts input into equal width
> bins on x"
>>  >
>>  > but I couldn't find any mention of it in the regular
>>  > documentation. It sounds quite interesting and useful -
>>  > has this been documented somewhere?
>>
>>  Perhaps you have not updated/installed the documentation
>>  matching the current version?
>
> Thanks, very helpful.
>
> I couldn't find either of them in the CVS-PDF
> at http://gnuplot.info/gnuplot_cvs.pdf
>
> Best,

The pdf document of cvs version in the above are not update frequently.
Please go to
http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/gnuplot/Eng/cygbin/

There is a new gnuplot.pdf in which document for bin is included.

Tatsuro

Re: "bins filter" and "set fit nolog option"

Philipp K. Janert

[snip]

> > Thanks, very helpful.
> >
> > I couldn't find either of them in the CVS-PDF
> > at http://gnuplot.info/gnuplot_cvs.pdf
> >
> > Best,
> >

> The pdf document of cvs version in the above are not update
> frequently. Please go to
> http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/gnuplot/Eng/cygbin/
>
> There is a new gnuplot.pdf in which document for bin is included.

Terrific - many thanks.