readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

tmacchant
Hello

gnuplot for windows.  As expected it is only available for console mode of gnuplot, 'gnuplot.exe'. For
wgnuplot.exe, linking with libreadline has give a broken command window.
(I have not tested on wgnuplot_pipes.exe but it will give the same as that of wgnuplot.exe).

Can this feature added to ver. 4.4 release?
I guess that the feature of readline itself available from the earlier version of gnuplot on other
platform.  In my idea, there is no problem that the console mode gnuplot (gnuplot.exe) for windows has
a readline feature.

Any comments?

If there is no objection I will upload the windows binaries with the readline feature for both 4.4-cvs
and 4.5 for on  my web.

Regards

Tatsuro

===Tatsuro wrote
--- Bastian Maerkisch wrote

> Hello
>
> I understand that you use cygwin to compile gnuplot on windows. It would
> be great if you could include readline (or editline) in your build for
> "gnuplot.exe". This is now standard on Linux and is one of the things I
> am sorely missing on windows.
>
> Regards
> Bastian

I do not use cygwin to build gnuplot binaries native to windows.  I am using msys + mingw + mingw gcc
to build them.  I use cygwin when I build cygwin version of gnuplot.

For building of gnuplot on the above platform, ./configure-make procedure is not used but it uses
customized makefile (makefile.mgw) and config.h (config.mgw is override to config.h in make process.).

In makefile.mgw, there is no description of the readline feature.  I have a windows version
libreadline libraries provides by GnuWin32 project. I will try it Perhaps I have to add
-DHAVE_LIBREADLINE to complier flag, add include and library path and add -lreadline in linker flag.
Of cource, I will try it only for gnuplot.exe and do not want to do for wgnuplot[_pipes].exe.

I do not know whether it will be successful or not.  Please wait keeping your expectations low.
If you or someone gives me suggestions for the matter, it will be welcome.

Regards

Tatsuro

--------------------------------------
VANCOUVER 2010 Olympic News [Yahoo! Sports/sportsnavi]
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/olympic/

Re: readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

tmacchant
Hello

Sorry I have found a problem on the history feature of readline.
I do not figure out I can fix or not at the moment.

Anyway I will stop to upload it on the web at the moment.

Sorry again.

Regards

Tatsuro

--- Tatsuro MATSUOKA  wrote:

> [...]
> flag.
> Of cource, I will try it only for gnuplot.exe and do not want to do for wgnuplot[_pipes].exe.
>
> I do not know whether it will be successful or not.  Please wait keeping your expectations low.
> If you or someone gives me suggestions for the matter, it will be welcome.
> ===========================================================================================
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro
>
> --------------------------------------
> VANCOUVER 2010 Olympic News [Yahoo! Sports/sportsnavi]
> http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/olympic/

--------------------------------------
VANCOUVER 2010 Olympic News [Yahoo! Sports/sportsnavi]
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/olympic/

Re: readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

Ethan A Merritt-2
On Saturday 20 February 2010, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> Sorry I have found a problem on the history feature of readline.
> I do not figure out I can fix or not at the moment.

OK. Let's leave readline out of version 4.4.
The planned release is very soon and we do not want to break anything.

It may be that it is easier to adapt the BSD libedit configuration
option for use on Windows rather than gnu libreadline.
But let's leave that for experimentation in 4.5.

        Ethan

> Anyway I will stop to upload it on the web at the moment.
>
> Sorry again.
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro

Re: readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

Tait

No complaint if you want to do this privately, but for distribution, are
we allowed to link against readline? Gnuplot is not GPL-licensed (and
personally I prefer it that way), and as I just became aware the other
day, it's apparently the FSF's position that linking against readline is
NOT allowed from non-GPLv3 applications.

Tait

> ...I have tried link with libreadline in building
> gnuplot for windows.

Re: readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

Ethan Merritt
On Sunday 21 February 2010, Tait wrote:

> No complaint if you want to do this privately, but for distribution, are
> we allowed to link against readline?

Good point.  I had momentarily forgotten that the windows version would
be provided as a binary image rather than as source.

> Gnuplot is not GPL-licensed (and
> personally I prefer it that way), and as I just became aware the other
> day, it's apparently the FSF's position that linking against readline is
> NOT allowed from non-GPLv3 applications.

I happen to disagree with them about that. I do not believe that linking
to an optional external dynamic library by itself creates a derived work,
hence the GPL restrictions are not relevant.  But it's a fight we don't
need to pick, so let's not.

        Ethan

> Tait
>
> > ...I have tried link with libreadline in building
> > gnuplot for windows.

Re: readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

tmacchant
Hello Tait and Ethan

--- Ethan Merritt wrote:

> On Sunday 21 February 2010, Tait wrote:
> >
> > No complaint if you want to do this privately, but for distribution, are
> > we allowed to link against readline?
>
> Good point.  I had momentarily forgotten that the windows version would
> be provided as a binary image rather than as source.
>
> > Gnuplot is not GPL-licensed (and
> > personally I prefer it that way), and as I just became aware the other
> > day, it's apparently the FSF's position that linking against readline is
> > NOT allowed from non-GPLv3 applications.
>
> I happen to disagree with them about that. I do not believe that linking
> to an optional external dynamic library by itself creates a derived work,
> hence the GPL restrictions are not relevant.  But it's a fight we don't
> need to pick, so let's not.
>
> Ethan

Thank you for point the licensing issue about the GPL.

That is not related to only to the readline  and serioys problem for binary distribution for windows
related one.

Pango, freetype, and libiconv are under the GPL (but version is 2nd not GPL v3).

For wxt terminal, the mingw libraries are linked. And it does not work without mingwm10.dll.

The libiconv perhaps is be able not to use it.  Others are hard to remove them.

If the binaries link with the GPL software cannot be allowed, we cannot distribute any windows
binaries with recent and new features (the cairo related terminal and the wxt terminal).  The people
would like to use these feature, they have to build the gnuplot by themselves.

I have read the GPL licence (Sorry I have read the GPL v2 because I cannot figure out the
corresponding part in the GPL v3).  The license of libraries are different from the that of the GPL'ed
software itself.

The cygwin binaries that shipped on the gnuplot site (and also on my site) seems to have been linked
with the libreadline.

Perhaps the license issue is very important.  I think that more discussions are required but not
simply stop to link with GPL'ed libraries.

Regards

Tatsuro

--------------------------------------
VANCOUVER 2010 Olympic News [Yahoo! Sports/sportsnavi]
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/olympic/

Re: readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

tmacchant
Hello

For the readline, it is clearly stated in the readline page.

***************
Readline is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 3.
This means that if you want to use Readline in a program that you release or distribute to anyone, the
program must be free software and have a GPL-compatible license. If you would like advice on making
your license GPL-compatible, contact [hidden email].
***************

For other GPL'd libraries, I will have looks in more details.

Regards

Tatsuro

--- Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> Hello Tait and Ethan
>

> --- Ethan Merritt wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 21 February 2010, Tait wrote:
> > >
> > > No complaint if you want to do this privately, but for distribution, are
> > > we allowed to link against readline?
> >
> > Good point.  I had momentarily forgotten that the windows version would
> > be provided as a binary image rather than as source.
> >
> > > Gnuplot is not GPL-licensed (and
> > > personally I prefer it that way), and as I just became aware the other
> > > day, it's apparently the FSF's position that linking against readline is
> > > NOT allowed from non-GPLv3 applications.
> >
> > I happen to disagree with them about that. I do not believe that linking
> > to an optional external dynamic library by itself creates a derived work,
> > hence the GPL restrictions are not relevant.  But it's a fight we don't
> > need to pick, so let's not.
> >
> > Ethan
> >

> Thank you for point the licensing issue about the GPL.
>
> That is not related to only to the readline  and serioys problem for binary distribution for
> windows
> related one.
>
> Pango, freetype, and libiconv are under the GPL (but version is 2nd not GPL v3).
>
> For wxt terminal, the mingw libraries are linked. And it does not work without mingwm10.dll.
>
> The libiconv perhaps is be able not to use it.  Others are hard to remove them.
>

> If the binaries link with the GPL software cannot be allowed, we cannot distribute any windows
> binaries with recent and new features (the cairo related terminal and the wxt terminal).  The
> people
> would like to use these feature, they have to build the gnuplot by themselves.
>
> I have read the GPL licence (Sorry I have read the GPL v2 because I cannot figure out the
> corresponding part in the GPL v3).  The license of libraries are different from the that of the
> GPL'ed
> software itself.
>
> The cygwin binaries that shipped on the gnuplot site (and also on my site) seems to have been
> linked
> with the libreadline.
>
> Perhaps the license issue is very important.  I think that more discussions are required but not
> simply stop to link with GPL'ed libraries.
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro
>
> --------------------------------------
> VANCOUVER 2010 Olympic News [Yahoo! Sports/sportsnavi]
> http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/olympic/

--------------------------------------
VANCOUVER 2010 Olympic News [Yahoo! Sports/sportsnavi]
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/olympic/

Re: readline to gnuplot.exe (console mode) for windows

tmacchant
Hello

Sorry I am in confusing state. Please forgive me if I  made anyone in frustrated state.
However, the clearance for copyright is to be important in order to decide to the style binary
distributions on windows.

Regards

Tatsuro

On Sunday 21 February 2010, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> Hello Tait and Ethan
>

> --- Ethan Merritt wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 21 February 2010, Tait wrote:
> > >
> > > No complaint if you want to do this privately, but for distribution, are
> > > we allowed to link against readline?
> >
> > Good point.  I had momentarily forgotten that the windows version would
> > be provided as a binary image rather than as source.
> >
> > > Gnuplot is not GPL-licensed (and
> > > personally I prefer it that way), and as I just became aware the other
> > > day, it's apparently the FSF's position that linking against readline is
> > > NOT allowed from non-GPLv3 applications.
> >
> > I happen to disagree with them about that. I do not believe that linking
> > to an optional external dynamic library by itself creates a derived work,
> > hence the GPL restrictions are not relevant.  But it's a fight we don't
> > need to pick, so let's not.
> >
> > Ethan
> >

> Thank you for point the licensing issue about the GPL.
>
> That is not related to only to the readline  and serioys problem for binary distribution for windows
> related one.
>
> Pango, freetype, and libiconv are under the GPL (but version is 2nd not GPL v3).

It is a little bit different from that.

readline is GPL  "General Public License"

pango and libiconv are LGPL    "Lesser General Public License"
                        a.k.a. "Library General Public License"

see http://svn.gnome.org/svn/pango/trunk/README
    http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/

The extra "L" is important.  It means that you are explicitly
allowed to link to it from software using a different license.

freetype has its own license, but it is essentially BSD, which
means there are no restrictions about linking to it.  It is also
possible to obtain freetype under a GPL-compatible license if you
need one, but that is not the case for gnuplot.

see http://freetype.sourceforge.net/license.html

So linking to pango, freetype, and libiconv is not a problem.

        Ethan

--- "sfeam (Ethan Merritt)" wrote:

> It is a little bit different from that.
>
> readline is GPL  "General Public License"
>
> pango and libiconv are LGPL    "Lesser General Public License"
>                         a.k.a. "Library General Public License"
>
> see http://svn.gnome.org/svn/pango/trunk/README
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/
>
> The extra "L" is important.  It means that you are explicitly
> allowed to link to it from software using a different license.
>
> freetype has its own license, but it is essentially BSD, which
> means there are no restrictions about linking to it.  It is also
> possible to obtain freetype under a GPL-compatible license if you
> need one, but that is not the case for gnuplot.
>
> see http://freetype.sourceforge.net/license.html
>

> So linking to pango, freetype, and libiconv is not a problem.
>
> Ethan

I really appreciate you for your kind explanations.

I have just noticed the difference Lesser General Public License (LGPL) and GNU LIBRARY GENERAL PUBLIC
LICENSE.

For mingw runtime,
http://www.mingw.org/license

MinGW runtime: The MinGW base runtime package has been placed in the public domain, and is not
governed by copyright. This basically means that you can do what you like with the code.

It is no restriction for the copyright. Sorry my confusions.
Therefore it is no problem to distribute the binaries in the current style built in the MinGW
environments.

The readline of cygwin binaries in currently to might be a problem.

Anyway I will try the libeditline to avoid the problem.

Regards

Tatsuro