Quantcast

spurious errors in ticks

Plotter-2
Hi,

I just ran up a very simple plot file for some simple time data.

set xdata time
set timefmt "%d/%m/%y"

datafile='bois.log'
plot datafile using 1:2

when I tried to plot it I got a series of unexpected errors:

gnuplot> load "bois.gnu
          "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
          "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
          "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>7)
          "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
          "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>7)
          "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)

After some testing I found that this was caused by calling gnuplot form
an xterm& when the parent terminal had subsequently been closed.

I am not sure how closing the parent would affect the environment of the
xterm running gnuplot but clearly it does. What could be changing that
is causing gnuplot to fail to calculate the ticks?

Is this to be expected ?

TIA,

Peter.

Re: spurious errors in ticks

Ethan Merritt
On Sunday, January 23, 2011, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just ran up a very simple plot file for some simple time data.
>

> set xdata time
> set timefmt "%d/%m/%y"
>
> datafile='bois.log'
> plot datafile using 1:2
>

> when I tried to plot it I got a series of unexpected errors:
>
> gnuplot> load "bois.gnu
>           "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
>           "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
>           "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>7)
>           "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
>           "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>7)
>           "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
>

> After some testing I found that this was caused by calling gnuplot form
> an xterm& when the parent terminal had subsequently been closed.

I must not be understanding you correctly.
If the parent terminal was closed, how could you see these error messages?
What do you mean by "parent terminal"?

> I am not sure how closing the parent would affect the environment of the
> xterm running gnuplot but clearly it does. What could be changing that
> is causing gnuplot to fail to calculate the ticks?

It may be possible to get this error if the current terminal is very small
("terminal" in the gnuplot sense of "set terminal ... size XX,YY"),
although I couldn't trigger it by intentionally setting the x11 window to
as small as it would go by resizing with the mouse.  Instead I saw warnings
like "Warning - difficulty fitting plot titles into key" and
"warning: difficulty making room for xtic labels".
Did you see this kind of message also?

        Ethan

> Is this to be expected ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Peter.

Re: spurious errors in ticks

Plotter-2
On 01/24/11 00:46, sfeam (Ethan Merritt) wrote:

> On Sunday, January 23, 2011, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just ran up a very simple plot file for some simple time data.
>>

>> set xdata time
>> set timefmt "%d/%m/%y"
>>
>> datafile='bois.log'
>> plot datafile using 1:2
>>

>> when I tried to plot it I got a series of unexpected errors:
>>
>> gnuplot>  load "bois.gnu
>>            "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
>>            "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
>>            "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>7)
>>            "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
>>            "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>7)
>>            "bois.gnu", line 7: warning: Too many axis ticks requested (>9)
>>

>> After some testing I found that this was caused by calling gnuplot form
>> an xterm&  when the parent terminal had subsequently been closed.
>
> I must not be understanding you correctly.
> If the parent terminal was closed, how could you see these error messages?
> What do you mean by "parent terminal"?

Sorry if that was a bit unclear.

I had an xterm running and spawned three new terminals with xterm& : one
to edit the data; one to edit the gnuplot script and one to run gnuplot.
I then closed the "parent" from which these three were spawned. Only
after closing do I see this error, so data and script are good.

It appears that something changes in shell running gnuplot when it's
parent goes. This seems odd.

gnuplot 'terminal size' is default from just running gnuplot and using
load "gnuplotfile.gnu" and is not showing problems until original shell
(parent of the shell running gnuplot) goes.

regards,