Quantcast

standards checking SVG output

Plotter-2
Hi,

in doing some standards checking I found the leading line in gnuplots
SVG 'mousing' output has errors.

<script language="javaScript" TYPE="text/javascript" >

xml requires lower case. so 'type' not 'TYPE'

also language should be "text/javascript"  too and now is js by default
so not required by current std. , though specifying  may be good to
cover all bases.

Unless this has been carefully crafted to work on a maximum number of
browsers, it would presumably be best to stick as closely as possible to
standards.

Regards, Peter.

Re: standards checking SVG output

sfeam
On Monday, 30 January 2017 11:55:07 PM [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in doing some standards checking I found the leading line in gnuplots
> SVG 'mousing' output has errors.
>
> <script language="javaScript" TYPE="text/javascript" >
>
> xml requires lower case. so 'type' not 'TYPE'
>
> also language should be "text/javascript"  too and now is js by default
> so not required by current std. , though specifying  may be good to
> cover all bases.
>
> Unless this has been carefully crafted to work on a maximum number of
> browsers, it would presumably be best to stick as closely as possible to
> standards.

The line you quote is only output if the terminal option "standalone"
is selected, right?  If you generate for display inside a web page you
get a line like this instead:
   <script type="text/javascript" xlink:href="./gnuplot_svg.js"/>

Did your standards check catch anything else?
Is there an on-line validation tool that is reasonably current
(the ones I know from a few years ago have all gone defunct).

Anyhow I'm confused. If you open the file in a web browser isn't
the line being read according to HTML standards (case insensitive)
rather than xml standards (case sensitive)?  I don't mind changing
it but I would like to understand better what the target standard is.

On 31/01/17 04:21, sfeam wrote:

> On Monday, 30 January 2017 11:55:07 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in doing some standards checking I found the leading line in gnuplots
>> SVG 'mousing' output has errors.
>>
>> <script language="javaScript" TYPE="text/javascript" >
>>
>> xml requires lower case. so 'type' not 'TYPE'
>>
>> also language should be "text/javascript"  too and now is js by default
>> so not required by current std. , though specifying  may be good to
>> cover all bases.
>>
>> Unless this has been carefully crafted to work on a maximum number of
>> browsers, it would presumably be best to stick as closely as possible to
>> standards.
>
> The line you quote is only output if the terminal option "standalone"
> is selected, right?

That is correct.

>  If you generate for display inside a web page you
> get a line like this instead:
>    <script type="text/javascript" xlink:href="./gnuplot_svg.js"/>
>
> Did your standards check catch anything else?
No, otherwise it was perfectly compliant. I was checking as part of
testing cross browser compatibility which is still rather complicated
for SVG. A frist step seemed like ensuring the output was fully compliant.

> Is there an on-line validation tool that is reasonably current
> (the ones I know from a few years ago have all gone defunct).

this is the one I was referring to :
https://validator.w3.org/

seems to be from the horse's mouth.

> Anyhow I'm confused. If you open the file in a web browser isn't
> the line being read according to HTML standards (case insensitive)
> rather than xml standards (case sensitive)?  I don't mind changing
> it but I would like to understand better what the target standard is.

I do not think the viewer is what defines the applicable standard , it
is the document and it's declared doctype and dtd.

I doubt that this is a real compatibility issue but a load of
cross-browser problems come from historical lack of respect for
standards by major corporations. If documents do validate fully it would
seem to be the way to go, unless some tweak was necessary to get around
show stopper issue due to browser/viewer non compliance.

It is a detail that it would be good to tidy up , not a major issue.

Peter.