vrml/povray output ("terminal")

Folkert van Heusden
Hi,

At http://t-kita.net/gnuplot_povrml/ I found a patch for gnuplot to add
povray and/or vrml output. Especially the last one I think is useful
because it allows one to easily view for example an splot from all
kinds of directions.
Now I'm wondering: what does it take to get it to be included in the
main gnuplot distribution?

regards

Folkert van Heusden

--
MultiTail is a versatile tool for watching logfiles and output of
commands. Filtering, coloring, merging, diff-view, etc.

Re: vrml/povray output ("terminal")

Daniel J Sebald
On 01/21/2016 02:55 AM, folkert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At http://t-kita.net/gnuplot_povrml/ I found a patch for gnuplot to add
> povray and/or vrml output. Especially the last one I think is useful
> because it allows one to easily view for example an splot from all
> kinds of directions.
> Now I'm wondering: what does it take to get it to be included in the
> main gnuplot distribution?

Folkert,

That looks like code outside the project, no license infringement
technically or otherwise.  Patch and compile.

Dan

Re: vrml/povray output ("terminal")

Christoph Bersch
On 21.01.2016 09:55, folkert wrote:

> At http://t-kita.net/gnuplot_povrml/ I found a patch for gnuplot to add
> povray and/or vrml output. Especially the last one I think is useful
> because it allows one to easily view for example an splot from all
> kinds of directions.
> Now I'm wondering: what does it take to get it to be included in the
> main gnuplot distribution?

That patch was build upon gnuplot 4.0, 11 years ago, and doesn't apply
to the current version. After fixing two small rejected hunks in
plot2d.c and plot3d.c I could compile it, but it gave me a segfault
error when doing a rather simple splot...

Additionally, those two terminals 'povray' and 'vrml' do their whole
work of creating the output files directly inside plot3d.c,
circumventing the usual terminal working mechanisms. I guess those
terminals would need a complete rewrite before considering their
inclusion in the main source.

Best,
Christoph

Re: vrml/povray output ("terminal")

Folkert van Heusden
> >At http://t-kita.net/gnuplot_povrml/ I found a patch for gnuplot to add
> >povray and/or vrml output. Especially the last one I think is useful
> >because it allows one to easily view for example an splot from all
> >kinds of directions.
> >Now I'm wondering: what does it take to get it to be included in the
> >main gnuplot distribution?
>
> That looks like code outside the project, no license infringement
> technically or otherwise.  Patch and compile.

Yes but what does it take to get it integrated in the main gnuplot
distribution?

Folkert van Heusden

Re: vrml/povray output ("terminal")

Folkert van Heusden
I can imagine that you don't want code for each and every output-format
but then at least provide one from which one can convert to others?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 12:41:39PM +0100, folkert wrote:

> > >At http://t-kita.net/gnuplot_povrml/ I found a patch for gnuplot to add
> > >povray and/or vrml output. Especially the last one I think is useful
> > >because it allows one to easily view for example an splot from all
> > >kinds of directions.
> > >Now I'm wondering: what does it take to get it to be included in the
> > >main gnuplot distribution?
> >
> > That looks like code outside the project, no license infringement
> > technically or otherwise.  Patch and compile.
>
> Yes but what does it take to get it integrated in the main gnuplot
> distribution?
>

> Folkert van Heusden

> Phone: +31-6-41278122, PGP-key: 1F28D8AE, www.vanheusden.com

Folkert van Heusden

--
Afraid of irssi? Scared of bitchx? Does xchat gives you bad shivers?
In all these cases take a look at http://www.vanheusden.com/fi/ maybe

On 01/22/2016 05:41 AM, folkert wrote:

>>> At http://t-kita.net/gnuplot_povrml/ I found a patch for gnuplot to add
>>> povray and/or vrml output. Especially the last one I think is useful
>>> because it allows one to easily view for example an splot from all
>>> kinds of directions.
>>> Now I'm wondering: what does it take to get it to be included in the
>>> main gnuplot distribution?
>>
>> That looks like code outside the project, no license infringement
>> technically or otherwise.  Patch and compile.
>
> Yes but what does it take to get it integrated in the main gnuplot
> distribution?

The author of the code needs to grant approval for its inclusion in
gnuplot before it can be considered.  Someone submitting a patch to this
list or to bug/patch tracker does so inherently.  Coders who create a
patch that they maintain are simply following the patch-and-compile rule
of the license.  There is nothing in the license that implies all
compatible code becomes part of the project.

Dan

On Friday, 22 January, 2016 12:41:39 folkert wrote:

> > >At http://t-kita.net/gnuplot_povrml/ I found a patch for gnuplot to add

> > >povray and/or vrml output. Especially the last one I think is useful

> > >because it allows one to easily view for example an splot from all

> > >kinds of directions.

> > >Now I'm wondering: what does it take to get it to be included in the

> > >main gnuplot distribution?

> > That looks like code outside the project, no license infringement

> > technically or otherwise. Patch and compile.

> Yes but what does it take to get it integrated in the main gnuplot

> distribution?

I do not think that this patch is suitable for inclusion in gnuplot.

The web page you link to gives a misleading impression of what the patch

actually does. Let me explain.

Gnuplot can be viewed as having 3 layers.

(1) An input layer in which data enters the program. Currently the

program can read ascii files (include csv format files), binary files,

and some specific image formats. Once the data enters the program it is

manipulated by ...

(2) A data-processing layer. This is primarily the "plot" and "splot"

commands, but also "fit" and "stats". These latter two options output

analysis results and stop. The two plotting commands feed their output

though ...

(3) A third layer consisting of various "terminals" that format the

composed plot for a specific output device. It is important to note

that the interface from layer 2 to layer 3 passes only 2D coordinates.

This is a historical artifact. Gnuplot was originally designed in the

days of of pen plotters and character cell terminals. Today we just

assume that graphics is done in 3D, but that was not true 40 years ago.

The important thing is that all of the various plot styles

(lines, dots, boxes, surfaces, histograms, etc) are implemented in

layer 2. You can mix-and-match any choice of plot style (layer 2)

with any output device (layer 3). Of course a hidden-surface plot

displayed to "set term dumb" won't look very good, but you can do it

if you want.

OK, now to the vrml/povray patch.

Although the patch claims to provide new terminals (vrml and povray),

this is not true and would not be possible because a gnuplot

terminal only knows about 2D coordinates. Instead it inserts a

new chunk of code into layer 2 that dumps a bunch of vrml or povray

header text, a formatted version of selected coordinates that were

previously read in by layer 1, a trailing bunch of vrml text,

and that's it. It mostly ignores all the gnuplot plot styles.

I won't say this is useless. As the web page shows, you can create

certain 3D plots this way. But I will say that if this is what you

want to do, there are better ways to do it. Most of those better

ways don't involve gnuplot at all, but if for whatever reason you

want the solution to be based on gnuplot then a better approach would

be to write a separate script (your choice of scripting languages)

that dumps

- the vrml/povray header lines

- tabular output from gnuplot run as a separate process

- the vrml/povray trailing lines

This would have many advantages, not least that you could tweak

the script without having to patch and recompile gnuplot.

It would still be tricky to dump 3D coordinates, but I think it might

be possible using the plot style "with table" in version 5. If not,

perhaps a patch to extend that capability would be appropriate.

If this works at all it would be useful for more things than just

the hypothetical vrml script.

Ethan

> Folkert van Heusden

Re: vrml/povray output ("terminal")

Folkert van Heusden
On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 10:35:45AM -0800, Ethan A Merritt wrote:
[gnuplot draws in layer 3, gets 2d coordinates from layer 2, the patch
hacks into layer 2, very uncleanly]

Ok thanks for the elaborate reply!
I'm going to find an other solution.

Folkert van Heusden

--
Multi tail barnamaj mowahib li mora9abat attasjilat wa nataij awamir
al 7asoub. damj, talwin, mora9abat attarchi7 wa ila akhirih.