x11 color resources

Petr Mikulik
I didn't like the gray x11 window background when running gnuplot on a
computer cluster ... then I have noticed that on some computers the
following in .Xdefault (+ xrdb ...) works always
  gnuplot.background: white
but this only on some
  gnuplot*background: white

And the following does not work at all:
gnuplot.textColor: red

Gnuplot docs contains only the "gnuplot*background" notation. Is it OK?

---
PM

Re: x11 color resources

Ethan Merritt
On Friday 24 June 2005 02:15 pm, Petr Mikulik wrote:
> I didn't like the gray x11 window background when running gnuplot on a
> computer cluster ... then I have noticed that on some computers the
> following in .Xdefault (+ xrdb ...) works always
>   gnuplot.background: white
> but this only on some
>   gnuplot*background: white

The x.y form of an X11 resource takes precedence over the x*y form.
I suspect that on your machines where setting gnuplot*background has
no effect, it is because there is also an active gnuplot.background
resource that remains in effect.

> And the following does not work at all:
> gnuplot.textColor: red

Right. Nothing in the current gnuplot source looks for such
a resource.  If it is mentioned in the docs, it must date back to
an obsolete version.

> Gnuplot docs contains only the "gnuplot*background" notation. Is it OK?

Yes.
We cannot possibly replicate the entire set of X11 documentation
just to explain things that affect gnuplot the same way they affect
all other X11 programs.

--
Ethan A Merritt       [hidden email]
Biomolecular Structure Center